You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Distribute shape or objects along path

The problem with distributing objects along a path is in deciding in what order they will be. It is clear for us, humans. But not for code. Well, if we convention that objects will be considered from left to right, it is easy. But this means that we must order them first.

FreeHand solved this in a very versatile way. To distribute objects along a path, all object must be placed first as inline graphics (another GREAT, very powerful feature). Then, the text would be set to follow a curve.

Here is a little video showing the placement of blended shapes along a curve and the placement of objects along a path:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysbB1TozwMs&feature=youtu.be

Now there's a point  - do we have the blend tool in AD?

I feel reluctant to add to feature requests for now - as I have yet to use the app more, and it might be something I've missed , or it might have been mentioned already…

The blend tool has many uses for me in my client work … would be a great addition, can't find anything like it here?

No there isn't a Blend tool yet. But it is a must. I really need it. It would have been sooooo useful for this project: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/729-work-in-progress-spartan-helmet/

I agree that having to place objects inside Text boxes to distribute them along a curve is convoluted and I'm sure there is a better way. But, being able to place objects inside Text boxes and treat them as characters is really, really nice. I used that a lot, in FreeHand.

• Staff

prisca,

No, there's currently no blend tool yet. But it was already requested in other threads.

rui_mac

Placing objects in text boxes just to distribute them along a path sounds more like a hack than anything.

That's because of those approaches that Illustrator and older soft are very unfriendly. It's already difficult to find a function in its logic place already in recent/actual software. Now imagine a new user trying to find a function/options like aligning objects along a path in a text box dialog... Doesn't make sense.

Why not keep things simple: If we need a blend we create a blend. If we need it attached to a path, just create a right-click menu entry named attach blend to path when a blend and a path are both selected on canvas (plus the corresponding commend on the Affinity main menu). If we need more blend options add them to the blend tool context toolbar. Same for text along a path etc...

I'd not call it cheating though ;D

I'd say that it's just making a point in the nicest way possible ~  nudging the hard-working app devs by rewarding them with some visual pleasure :)
Must be nice to see how a tool you build is used - not just hear discussions about the ins and outs. That's not just me, I'm sure, who likes to see how something you built is used (and I don't build software, only websites).

What I mean is - show us your work, everyone :)
Hoping to show some myself soon to join the fun ;)

• Staff

I'd say that it's just making a point in the nicest way possible ~  nudging the hard-working app devs by rewarding them with some visual pleasure :)

Exactly - cheating!!! (i'm kidding ok?)

Anyway as i said i hope it works because i would like to have a blend tool too  :rolleyes:

There's a section in the forum to showcase your work. People are already posting there. Just take a look.

Meb, I knew you were kidding :D

just nice to highlight … ~ I wouldn't be able to write software, I'm sure, too complex for my little brain. But I often do wonder what it must be like … 

And yep, just been looking at the work, thanks - so nice to see ;) :)

I'm a geek designer. Although I have a graphic design degree, I do programming since I was 14 years old. I'm almost 43 so, I have been programming for a long time.
And what I can say is that it is really nice. Being able to create our own tools is just so damn fun (and useful) :)

rui_mac, wow - you're lucky then ;)  having the brain of a geek combined with that of a designer, nice ;)

I'm very much a designer at heart - I was one of those people who was convinced that coding is too difficult if you're rubbish with numbers/maths - logical thinking… hmmm… I ended up doing flash sites before 'seeing the light' - and then I did surprise myself when I managed to learn HTML/CSS & actually enjoy it.
Now I love coding but strictly frontend (lightweight - no JS).  Even though I happily do that - writing tools and apps, a different story entirely…

I can only imagine how nice it is to write your own tools… that's why I'm so taken with AD - there are parts there that feel like we (as users/designers) knew we needed ~ we just didn't know it, like the split view ~ how amazing. 

One of the things I hope AD will have is a scripting language, so that anyone who can code could create their own tools/helpers.

I was a terrible student at maths for some part of my student life, even when I already knew how to code.

Now I love maths and I'm quite good at it, if I may say so myself ;-)

Most of the plugins/small apps I code would not be possible (or at least done in a small time frame) if it weren't for some mathematics knowledge.

Oh, by the way... besides being something that satisfies us, being able to code also allows us to earn some money, by selling what we code ;-)

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 24.08.2014 at 9:06 AM, Kasem said:

Is there any way to evenly distribute shapes or group of objects along a path? Thanks

+1

• 1 year later...
On 8/31/2017 at 3:05 PM, telemax said:

+1

+1

Photoshop has got something - create a pen path and then use 'Place Along Path' however it's buggy and does not work properly. I have Affinity but have not explored it properly and was hoping that this would give me an excuse to switch sides :-) 

• 5 months later...