You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Comparison of PDFs for similar documents using Affinity Publisher and PagePlus

Hello, I thought that I'd experiment in laying out a poem in PagePlus X9 and Affinity Publisher for comparison As you can see the results are very similar but PagePlus has the edge using features such as optical justification and use of filter effects for the drop shadow. Affinity Publisher layer effects aren't as versatile as PagePlus which is a shame. Admittedly I haven't found out how to successfully use optical justification in Affinity Publisher yet so that may be my own issue rather than the program's issue.

I do think Affinity Publisher is a very polished and capable product though, and I am looking forward to its release. Keep up the good work.

A Retard's Retort.pdf

A Retard's Retort PagePlus.pdf

Had a quick glance at the two files.

I see no reason why the drop shadow in the Publisher version can't look identical to that from PagePlus.

Use the Outer Shadow effect, with low opacity (33%), a small radius (2px), and an offset (8px).

There are a number of other differences that would be easy to 'correct'…

• The line spacing in the Publisher version is very loose compared with that in PagePlus, and the font size is larger.
  • The background is more opaque.

Optical Alignment is in the Character studio panel. Try turning it to Manual or Font to see how it improves things.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

3 hours ago, Michael S Harvey said:

I take it the persona buttons will only operate if you have the Affinity Photo, and Affinity Designer applications as well

Yes.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro