You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Deleting flowing text box causes lockup

I have been messing around with flowing text and using a table for headers for classifieds. I have issues with the program freezing (Not Responding) if I delete one of the text boxes. Not every single time but frequently. The pinned headlines also don't always reappear after deleting or and restoring a text box. I have attached a test file. It seems to happen most if it is a middle or beginning box.

TEST.afpub

Why a table for the headings? Why not a text frame? 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I experience with your .afpub an issue with text overflow for your pinned objects:

– If I delete the pinned frame ('pets') in the right text frame then I can delete the middle frame without freeze.
– Also, with 'pets', if I add a text frame on pasteboard and set text flow from your last text frame to the new one then I can delete the middle frame without freeze.

Instead using pinned objects you could simply define a paragraph style and define the text background color in the decoration section.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I actually started out doing it that way (paragraph styles) but for the life of me I couldn't get it to keep the entire line highlighted while keeping the text centered. Is there a way to make the entire background of the line black and keep the text centered?  The highlight/background color needs to go to the edge of the text frame (and not beyond) on both sides with the text remaining properly centered.

Edit: Never mind, found the decoration menu. Have no idea how I missed that in the first place. Oh well, at least I found a bug. :7_sweat_smile:

3 hours ago, MajesticFlame said:

Never mind, found the decoration menu. Have no idea how I missed that in the first place. Oh well, at least I found a bug. :7_sweat_smile:

Thanks for my morning smile, you have a great attitude.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

5 hours ago, MajesticFlame said:

I actually started out doing it that way (paragraph styles) but for the life of me I couldn't get it to keep the entire line highlighted while keeping the text centered. Is there a way to make the entire background of the line black and keep the text centered?  The highlight/background color needs to go to the edge of the text frame (and not beyond) on both sides with the text remaining properly centered.

Edit: Never mind, found the decoration menu. Have no idea how I missed that in the first place. Oh well, at least I found a bug. :7_sweat_smile:

Another way would be to use a text frame with a background fill, but using decorations is better because it avoids the need for another text object entirely.

Sometimes you want the headings/classifications repeated at the top of each column. (Flashback to wax as an adhesive. Man the old days sucked!) Hence my suggestion of using text Frames and then you could pin them wherever in the flow of text AND have them pinned at the top of the page. (Lord I do not miss the old days)

17 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Sometimes you want the headings/classifications repeated at the top of each column. (Flashback to wax as an adhesive. Man the old days sucked!) Hence my suggestion of using text Frames and then you could pin them wherever in the flow of text AND have them pinned at the top of the page. (Lord I do not miss the old days)

They still do layout with wax here and we get to redo the layout in InDesign. Then we have to try and fit classifieds in-between all the ads. We don't need to have the headings at the top since they are flowing in-between everything. I was hoping to be able to do layout in Publisher but since it doesn't support font passthrough with pdfs we can't use it for that yet.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.