You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I know there are some people on here like me using Nik Plugins. I have been using Nik for 15 plus years, way before Google bought them and gave it all to you for free. I knew my Nik life was coming to an end with AP 1.7 update. But hey, maybe after all these years, it's just time for a new workflow.

I use Affinity Photo 100% for everything photo. I decided, instead of re-buying Nik I will look into an alternative. That alternatve for me is Luminar. It's basically Nik plugins and around the same price but really better because you are getting lightroom and nik together. But wait, it gets better. I have the latest release of Luminar and my Nik Plugins work inside Luminar. Now I do hate using 2 photo editors and you have to with luminar. You can't place text in luminar unless you make it in designer or AP and export as transparent PNG and to me it's just over all more difficult to AP photos inside luminar. (how do we stop saying it's photoshopped)

Even though I'm trying to be my own Nik now and use the tools given to us by AP, which work very well. I need to get away from my Nik crutch. It's not easy to switch gears but it can be done.

What is the difference between Affinity Photo and Luminar?

Affinity Photo = Photoshop (single photo editor) Photo + Graphic Design + Typography etc.

Luminar = lightroom (multiple (catalog) photo editor) Basically just a photo editor

PS I can still use my Nik as stand alone software

Hope this helps anyone with the Nik addiction!

Brett

Late Model  2012 iMac 27inch  - 3.4 GHZ Core i7 - 32 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForces GTX 2GB - macOS High Sierra

53 minutes ago, BHP said:

I know there are some people on here like me using Nik Plugins. I have been using Nik for 15 plus years, way before Google bought them and gave it all to you for free. I knew my Nik life was coming to an end with AP 1.7 update. But hey, maybe after all these years, it's just time for a new workflow.

I use Affinity Photo 100% for everything photo. I decided, instead of re-buying Nik I will look into an alternative. That alternatve for me is Luminar. It's basically Nik plugins and around the same price but really better because you are getting lightroom and nik together. But wait, it gets better. I have the latest release of Luminar and my Nik Plugins work inside Luminar. Now I do hate using 2 photo editors and you have to with luminar. You can't place text in luminar unless you make it in designer or AP and export as transparent PNG and to me it's just over all more difficult to AP photos inside luminar. (how do we stop saying it's photoshopped)

Even though I'm trying to be my own Nik now and use the tools given to us by AP, which work very well. I need to get away from my Nik crutch. It's not easy to switch gears but it can be done.

What is the difference between Affinity Photo and Luminar?

Affinity Photo = Photoshop (single photo editor) Photo + Graphic Design + Typography etc.

Luminar = lightroom (multiple (catalog) photo editor) Basically just a photo editor

PS I can still use my Nik as stand alone software

Hope this helps anyone with the Nik addiction!

Brett

hum .... I do not know ... I still can not produce a contrast as good as what is done 'Pro contrast' of the color efex in AP / LR.  In addition, Control pointer technology often makes work much easier.

Just now, mikerofoto said:

I wish Luminar Flex would work as plugin for AP but doesn’t, not sure why they released that version as it didn’t even get their last update accent AI 2.0

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. I went to Skylum site just today and said this:  (and maybe everyone who likes Luminar and AP should email them as well.)

"You made your plugin to work with photoshop and lightroom but a lot of people are leaving lightroom for luminar, and a lot of people are leaving photoshop for Affinity Photo. Please look into making the plugin work with AP 1.7"

I'm not sure it will make a difference. Maybe  AP and Skylum can get together for a coffee and hash it out.

Brett

Late Model  2012 iMac 27inch  - 3.4 GHZ Core i7 - 32 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForces GTX 2GB - macOS High Sierra

Just now, marciomendonsa said:

hum .... I do not know ... I still can not produce a contrast as good as what is done 'Pro contrast' of the color efex in AP / LR.  In addition, Control pointer technology often makes work much easier.

And you have to download the free trial and see if what I'm doing makes sense for your workflow. Nik is great but I'm moving on.

1 hour ago, BHP said:

how do we stop saying it's photoshopped

"It's Affinitised" :D

NIK software works in Affinity Photo 1.7, I have the 2.04 version and it works better than ever, very lively when applying filters, HDR eFX won't load the image but it starts up and you can close it down. Works fine elsewhere.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

NIK software works in Affinity Photo 1.7, I have the 2.04 version and it works better than ever, very lively when applying filters, HDR eFX won't load the image but it starts up and you can close it down. Works fine elsewhere.

"firstdefence: "It's Affinitised" :D"

That could work LOL, I'm serious, I catch myself saying I photoshopped this or that but I use Affinity Photo so I hate using that term. LOL!

Glad to hear your NIK is working. Is that the new DxO version?

Just now, BHP said:

Is that the new DxO version?

Yes, very impressed with it.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

and is viveza working well with you?  the colors are correct?

2 hours ago, mikerofoto said:

I wish Luminar Flex would work as plugin for AP but doesn’t, not sure why they released that version as it didn’t even get their last update accent AI 2.0

According to one of TPTB (The Powers That Be), in a reply, in a thread, over at Skylum... AI 2.0 will be coming to Flex

2 minutes ago, PedroOfOz said:

... Except some of us were 'quick off the mark' and paid Google US$150.00! :D

Ah! I do kind of remember they sold it for a while and then gave it away for free. But, $150 better than $300. LOL

Google is still using Nik though as Snapseed app. I feel this is the reason for them to buy Nik back in the day. I could be wrong.

4 hours ago, marciomendonsa said:

and is viveza working well with you?  the colors are correct?

Viveza colours are still wrong and HDR won’t load your image with AP 1.7

Viveza don’t work neither in Luminar, so it seem to work only in Ps or as stand alone unless you have PL2.

16 minutes ago, mikerofoto said:

Viveza don’t work neither in Luminar, so it seem to work only in Ps or as stand alone unless you have PL2.

Hey mikerofoto, I'm not sure what version I have, I think it's the last free update there was for Nik. My Viveza is working in Luminar. Like I said before, I'm trying not to use Nik, but it's nice to know it will still work for now if I want to use it.

I wonder if you can run old nik and new nik together until things get resolved?????

4 hours ago, mikerofoto said:

Viveza colours are still wrong and HDR won’t load your image with AP 1.7

The 'free' NIK plugins work as expected in Partha's GIMP builds (ie including Viveza correct colour). Partha's builds include the appropriate .py files. However only 1x image as far as I'm aware can be opened in HDR. (Similar to APh?—I don't shoot HDR).

I have no idea re the updated NIK versions. 

6 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Topaz yes very good and work as a plug-in for AP http://www.miguelboto.com/affinity/photo/plugins-support/win/

Franzis!! I bought there HDR projects  and less than a year later they released a new version with no free upgrade for owners and never hear from them on updates etc not one of the best I have ever delt with. Russ.

10 hours ago, BHP said:

Hey mikerofoto, I'm not sure what version I have, I think it's the last free update there was for Nik. My Viveza is working in Luminar. Like I said before, I'm trying not to use Nik, but it's nice to know it will still work for now if I want to use it.

I wonder if you can run old nik and new nik together until things get resolved?????

I kept the old Nik plugin folder and created a new one for the Nik by DxO, but when you install Nik collection, it overwrite the old one.