You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there an Artboard in Affinity?

I'm cutting the cord from Photoshop and have already purchased Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer, but I have two questions.

1. Is there an Artboard feature in Affinity Photo like they have in Photoshop? I use this quite a lot in Photoshop.

2. Can I import over Photoshop Styles into Affinity Photo & Designer? I don't want to lose these creative photoshop styles.

Thanks

53 minutes ago, davidjovan said:

I'm cutting the cord from Photoshop and have already purchased Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer

Welcome to the other side ;)

1) Yes there is. At least in Designer you could create as many artboards as you like and you even have an artboard tool letting you size and move artboards around. There are also pretty handy features to create an artboard around a selection and other useful features to create artboards. I have photo too, but use Designer way more often, so don't know if Photo has artboards too, but both programs are based on the same codebase, so probably Photo has artboards too somewhere.

There are also pretty great features to export artboards to files too btw.

2) I never imported Photoshop styles into Affinity, but I see it's possible to import *.ase palette-files at least. And import brushes from *.abr files. I don't know if it's possible to import styles directly from Photoshop. In the Affinity styles panel there's no import for styles other than Affinity fileformats as far as I can see. Not sure how well all these import works, maybe other people on the forum could help you with that.

57 minutes ago, davidjovan said:

1. Is there an Artboard feature in Affinity Photo like they have in Photoshop? I use this quite a lot in Photoshop.

Only Affinity Designer (AD) has the ability to create artboards, but because of the shared file format you can edit an AD file — and hence the contents of its artboards — in Affinity Photo.

57 minutes ago, davidjovan said:

2. Can I import over Photoshop Styles into Affinity Photo & Designer? I don't want to lose these creative photoshop styles.

The Affinity apps cannot currently read the proprietary ASL format.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 hours ago, davidjovan said:

One more question, is there any style packs / resources out there?

You might look around in the Resources forum if you're looking for (usually) free items.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Sorry for the late thank Yous everybody.

I specialize in designing club party fliers, etc.  The promoters love animation to their still pictures, so I've been using these software / plugins

https://artymate.com/learnhow/ for Photoshop and

https://www.photomirage.io/en/ a plugin & standalone for Paintshop Pro

to accomplish that task.

I'm trying to find one standard plugin / program I can use in Affinity to accomplish the same.

Thanks again everyone.