Joachim_L

Dragging .docx from explorer to documents work space fails

Dragging a .docx from explorer to a document works, but only when you drag it onto the page/spread. This will not work if you drag the file into the free space around the page (you cannot even drag it into the bleed of the page). Seems trivial, but if I want to drag'n'drop a document I want to move it onto a free area not the page itself.

30 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Seems trivial, but if I want to drag'n'drop a document I want to move it onto a free area not the page itself.

But you can't do anything with it until you've loaded it into a text frame. So, assuming Publisher were to allow what you want, what would you do with it next?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.502 Beta

32 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

No, when you drag the .docx to the page a text frame will be created automatically.

Yes. When you drag it to a page. But still, it needs to be in a text frame. Until you get it into a text frame you can't use it. 

How will you deal with a text frame that is on the pasteboard area? Especially if the.docx is like enough to overflow the frame?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.502 Beta

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes. When you drag it to a page. But still, it needs to be in a text frame. Until you get it into a text frame you can't use it.

I can't follow. If I drag the .docx file to the page a text frame is created and the content of the .docx file is inside this frame. What else has to be done?

4 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

I can't follow. If I drag the .docx file to the page a text frame is created and the content of the .docx file is inside this frame. What else has to be done?

What would you do with it next after dropping it onto a page? Typically if I were doing that I would shift-click on the link icon so the overflow text went into new text frames.

Until that is done I can't make much use of the information from the .docx file.

But maybe your workflow is different, and maybe you're doing something else with the placed info?

You might try this experiment: drag your . docx into a page and let Publisher create the text frame.

Then, without doing anything else, drag the frame onto the pasteboard.

Can you do your usual next actions at that point, or would additional changes be needed in Publisher?

-- Walt

I just wanted to tell, that the file can only be dragged onto the page. Nothing else, a flaw/bug from my point of view. Indeed I usually place everything first on the free space, make  small formattings and distribute all the items on the page.

20 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

I just wanted to tell, that the file can only be dragged onto the page. Nothing else, a flaw/bug from my point of view. Indeed I usually place everything first on the free space, make  small formattings and distribute all the items on the page.

OK; thanks.

I think you would find that if they did allow it the results would be rather unusable, for placed .docx files, and perhaps it's intentional that they don't allow it.

By the way, you can create a text frame on the pasteboard, and then place a .docx file into it. But the results are not pretty (Edit: at least in the dark UI, I haven't tried the light UI for this).

-- Walt

As images can be imported directly onto the pasteboard (off the page), it might be ok to be consistent and allow that also for the text. But if the pasteboard is clipped off (View > View mode > Clip to Canvas) imported elements might easily be left accidentally invisible (placed off the page) so perhaps that's the reason why text frames are created within the page boundaries when dragging and dropping. 

InDesign does this by loading the texts in the cursor so the user can decide where and at which size to create and place the text frames. Quark creates the loaded text frames at the point the user clicks when dropping the files. As APub allows importing multiple text files by loading them in the cursor (similarly as InDesign) and then placing them one by one whereeer and at the size the user chooses, this could be supported also when dragging and dropping text documents.

There is good use for creating and placing text elements off the page, e.g. when importing multiple tables, captions, and other elements which for one reason or another are kept in separate files. This way you can e.g. format all such elements in separate frames (placed at locations, sizes and order you wish) but in one go off the page and place them on the pages only after that, without messing up the current layout.

Edit: It seems that if MULTIPLE text files are dragged and dropped, the generated text frames CAN be placed off the page and on the pasteboard, so this seems to be a genuine bug. If a single file is dropped, it must be dropped within the page boundaries, otherwise nothing happens.

As an afterthought, it is a good feature to autogenerate text frames directly at the spot the user points, since the alternative method, placing via loaded cursor, is supported when using Import via menu command. This way the user can pick the desired method according to use. E:g., dragging and dropping 100 or so caption text files with autogenerated text frames can be very useful since it is possible to format all text frames in one go and then fit the frames. This way it is not necessary to manually create text frames for each imported file.