You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dragging .docx from explorer to documents work space fails

Dragging a .docx from explorer to a document works, but only when you drag it onto the page/spread. This will not work if you drag the file into the free space around the page (you cannot even drag it into the bleed of the page). Seems trivial, but if I want to drag'n'drop a document I want to move it onto a free area not the page itself.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

30 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Seems trivial, but if I want to drag'n'drop a document I want to move it onto a free area not the page itself.

But you can't do anything with it until you've loaded it into a text frame. So, assuming Publisher were to allow what you want, what would you do with it next?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

No, when you drag the .docx to the page a text frame will be created automatically.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

32 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

No, when you drag the .docx to the page a text frame will be created automatically.

Yes. When you drag it to a page. But still, it needs to be in a text frame. Until you get it into a text frame you can't use it. 

How will you deal with a text frame that is on the pasteboard area? Especially if the.docx is like enough to overflow the frame?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes. When you drag it to a page. But still, it needs to be in a text frame. Until you get it into a text frame you can't use it.

I can't follow. If I drag the .docx file to the page a text frame is created and the content of the .docx file is inside this frame. What else has to be done?

------

4 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

I can't follow. If I drag the .docx file to the page a text frame is created and the content of the .docx file is inside this frame. What else has to be done?

What would you do with it next after dropping it onto a page? Typically if I were doing that I would shift-click on the link icon so the overflow text went into new text frames.

Until that is done I can't make much use of the information from the .docx file.

But maybe your workflow is different, and maybe you're doing something else with the placed info?

You might try this experiment: drag your . docx into a page and let Publisher create the text frame.

Then, without doing anything else, drag the frame onto the pasteboard.

Can you do your usual next actions at that point, or would additional changes be needed in Publisher?

-- Walt
PC:

I just wanted to tell, that the file can only be dragged onto the page. Nothing else, a flaw/bug from my point of view. Indeed I usually place everything first on the free space, make  small formattings and distribute all the items on the page.

------

20 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

I just wanted to tell, that the file can only be dragged onto the page. Nothing else, a flaw/bug from my point of view. Indeed I usually place everything first on the free space, make  small formattings and distribute all the items on the page.

OK; thanks.

I think you would find that if they did allow it the results would be rather unusable, for placed .docx files, and perhaps it's intentional that they don't allow it.

By the way, you can create a text frame on the pasteboard, and then place a .docx file into it. But the results are not pretty (Edit: at least in the dark UI, I haven't tried the light UI for this).

-- Walt
PC:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.