You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export Issue on Affinity Designer 1.7.0

Hi,

I have been using Affinity Designer 1.7 and have the following issue so far, that occur sometimes, not sure if it is due to computer I use or if others are experiencing same issue:Sometimes Affinity

• Designer 1.7 crashes during export process, like I click export as PDF, then it crashes. I export first time as PDF then go through export process immediatly afterwards to export as JPEG, or the other way round, JPEG then PDF, it then crashes as specified during process.

I use Affinity Designer 1.7 on a 21.5 inch iMac from late 2015 with OS 10.14.5 Mojave.

Apple asks if I want to send crash report after Affinity Designer 1.7 crashes, and I click yes, so that may be passed onto Affinity Designer Serif.

I can still use the software, it is just a bit of a hassle to have to have it randomly crash when exporting.

You can see attachment shows the type of images I am working on when these two issues have occured.

May it be resolved.

M180-SG-p14-gd-twa.jpg

Edited by Garvey Dixon

• Staff

Hi Garvey Dixon,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Does this happen with any file you try to export or just with some specific files? Do you mind attaching one of those that crash on export for us to check please? Also if you could attach the crash report as well it would help (press alt and drag the icon in the crash report window's title to the desktop to create a copy of the crash report). Thank you.

4 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Garvey Dixon,
Does this happen with any file you try to export or just with some specific files? Do you mind attaching one of those that crash on export for us to check please? Also if you could attach the crash report as well it would help (press alt and drag the icon in the crash report window's title to the desktop to create a copy of the crash report). Thank you.

@MEB I've had some too. Here is a crash report i've saved.

export.crash.rtf

Hello. I´m using Affinity Designer version 1.70 for MAC too.
I also have a problem exporting as pdf.
After updating to the new version I can't export a pdf anymore.
The program always hangs at the file-location selection mask.
If I open the file with the command "Edit in Affinity Photo", I can export there.
I hope for a quick solution to this problem.

Best regards

15 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Garvey Dixon,

Hi MEB,

Thanks for response. I will attach crash report if/when it happens again, thanks for tip as to how to do this.

The files I export that this issue arises are new files I create in Affinity Design 1.7, as in they are not like a pdf file I work on and export from.

I just export as JPEG and PDF so far, so am not sure if it will happen when exporting other file types. 

There has at least been "recovery file/s/recovery option" when I reopen Affinity Design 1.7, thanks very much Affinity Serif for this feature, so I have not "lost" the work I have been working on and Affinity Designer 1.7 file does reopen.

Thank you.

16 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Garvey Dixon,

Crash report from this morning attached.

AD Crash Report.rtf

12 hours ago, dcarvalho84 said:

@MEB I've had some too. Here is a crash report i've saved.

export.crash.rtf

Another crash report from this morning, from one that that happened following the previous one I sent this morning. This one happened when I selected to export as JPEG, and replace existing file using same file name, it then crashed straight away, without hanging or freezing.

AD Crash Report 2.rtf

Edited by Garvey Dixon

4 minutes ago, Garvey Dixon said:

Another crash report from this morning, from one that that happened following the previous one I sent this morning. This one happened when I selected to export as JPEG, and replace existing file using same file name, it then crashed straight away, without hanging or freezing.

AD Crash Report 2.rtf

When I reopened Affinity Designer 1.7, I was able to export file as JPEG where it replaced existing file with same file name, without Affinity Design 1.7 crashing, though it was not preceded by exporting pdf version, that I did when it crashed before, noted with the Crash Report 2 I posted this morning.

try reducing the resolution, or the size of your work. For that dimensions you only need 72dpi for printing,... so you can do two things, export real size with 72dpi, or with a 300dpi with a size reduction, so when you convert to 72dpi the size scales to your needs.

After that export as tiff,... pdf sometimes can't handle that size.

Lot of crashes this morning because i've had the need to export a lot of files from different works. I've had crashes with pdf, png, jpgs and svgs. I've had one of them that the export dialog appear as normal and go through the end and when i've searched for him in the folder it wasn't there and when i've exported to the same folder, crash. I've had crashes saving to a NAS folder but have had saving to the desktop too... That was not occuring in the last .14 beta.

Affinity Designer_2019-06-13-124011_Mac-mini-de-Daniel.crash

Crash happened again as shown in attached document, this morning when I selected to export as PDF, it then crashed straight away, without hanging or freezing, it is at the point when I click "export", after having chosen file type, name to use and location, then at the "point" where it would create a PDF file when I click "export" it crashes. Before this crash when trying to export as PDF, I had successfully exported a JPEG of same Affinity Designer 1.7 file. This crash happened during same session Affinity Design 1.7 had been open for, that being the successful export of same file as JPEG, it seems to crash after a "successful" export, when wanting to do second export during same session.

AD Crash Report 3.rtf

Edited by afridraw
Crash report added as attachment, not as part of post.

My "work around":

+ Is to save and quit Affinity once I have done all work I want to on Affinity Designer 1.7 file, before exporting as any file type.

+ Then reopen file, and export Affinity Designer 1.7 file as wanted file type, like PDF or JPEG.

+ Then once export has been done, quit Affinity Designer 1.7 file you exported.

+ Then reopen same Affinity Designer 1.7 file and export as wanted file type, like PDF or JPEG.

+ Then once export has been done, quit Affinity Designer 1.7 file you exported.

+ Repeat as needed.

This has worked for me so far.

This is a bit time consuming, though at least the result is getting exported file types one wants to, without have it crash without warning.

Also I find Affinity Designer 1.7 does start up quite quickly.

Until this "crashing sometimes during export" is fixed, I will use this work around as I am happy with the actual interface of Affinity Designer 1.7. Basically I will not change software because of this "type" of crashing, if this crashing does not happen while actually working on a file, and only happens when exporting, it is not ideal, though it is not that bad.

14 hours ago, dcarvalho84 said:

You should check updates in the App Store, 1.7.1 came out a few minutes ago. I'm still doing some tests.

Great to hear update released, I will try it out after update and let you know if this issue with export happens, without using "workaround" I specified on Friday.

• 2 weeks later...