You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Font Cache on Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo 1.7

Hi guys!

I've some problem with font cache in both softwares on Windows. My font list don't update at all. I try to close AD and AP then restart, but nothing happens.

No one of new fonts is updated. In Photoshop, Word and other SW everything is fine.

Please, help me! :)
G.

Hi Lee! 

Yes, I really have lots of fonts in my font directory.

The fonts that didn't work are those included in the Affinity free kit, "iconic fonts".

Damion, Allan, Rokkitt, Candal, Amarante, Alfa_Slab_One... Every font in this kit. But I don't think the problem is the kit, because I then tried to install other fonts to verify, and it still doesn't incorporate any other fonts. AD only shows me the fonts I had in the old version, since the update to 1.7 it doesn't let me see new fonts anymore.

Rokkitt-Regular.ttf

PaytoneOne-Regular.ttf

AlfaSlabOne-Regular.ttf

Edit: same problem with AP

FYI I tried loading these 3 on my mac and they wouldn't even load saying insufficient permissions.  But when I saved them to the desktop then drug them into the font directory everything was fine.  They were automatically added to AD 1.7.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

I downloaded the iconic-fonts.zip from the Affinity Store. After unzipping the file, I got a folder named "Fonts" with 41 subfolders in it, one for each of the 41 font families. Each of those folders had one or more *.ttf files in it, one for each font in the family.

I decided to install all of them at once to save time, & just to be on the safe side, I reviewed the Installing fonts on macOS section of the Affinity Store installing resources guide (US English version here). That suggests 2 ways to install them all, one of which is to drag all the fonts directly to the Font Book app icon. Doing that was a very bad idea because it opened a cascade of 41 individual windows in Font Book, each with its own "Install" button. Yikes! 

So I quit Font Book & tried the second suggestion, which is to launch Font Book & use the Add button to select the files. I did that, selecting all of the sub-folders in the "Fonts" folder (not the individual font files themselves) & that very quickly ran the font verification process & installed all the fonts, each in its appropriate family.

I had both Designer & Photo running at the time, each hidden & with no open documents. Oddly, Photo unhid itself & a brief "Updating fonts..." message appeared. Weirder still, Designer simply crashed -- no unhiding or message that I could see. However, in Photo & in Designer after restarting it, all the iconic fonts seem to be working in both apps without any issues.

Also, before I added any files to Font Book, I created a new 'collection' in that app, which I named "Iconic-fonts." Immediately after they were all added, they appear in the second column of Font Book, making it easy to select them all & drag them into my newly created collection, which I did. In both Photo & Designer, on the top left dropdown menu of the Character Studio panel, "Iconic-fonts" is a new choice & all the fonts appear in the dropdown menu to the right of the top left one. That also works without issues in both apps.

So I don't know what's up with Iontano's 3 ttf files, but I suggest using the Store download & Add button method in Font Book to install them, & see if that makes a difference.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

10 hours ago, lontano75 said:

Yes, I really have lots of fonts in my font directory.

The fonts that didn't work are those included in the Affinity free kit, "iconic fonts".

No problems here in version 1.7 of either AD or APh (or APub Beta) on Windows 10, but even with all of the Iconic fonts loaded I have fewer than a thousand fonts active.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@R C-R I almost did sort of in a manner of speaking what you did.

I opened the Font Book application, made a new collection named Affinity then I selected that collection and dragged the folder of fonts from the Finder onto/into it and waited a few seconds. All there. Now I just have to remember to delete the ones I don't like (Quite a few actually, but hey: "Win Free Fonts"), should have done that first I guess.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

@R C-R I almost did sort of in a manner of speaking what you did.

I opened the Font Book application, made a new collection named Affinity then I selected that collection and dragged the folder of fonts from the Finde onto/into it and waited a few seconds. All there.

Good to know that also works -- I guess I should have thought of trying that myself, but after the first attempt that opened 41 different windows in Font Book, I went with the 'Add button' suggestion, which I have used in the past & know that it works without issues.

Anyway, I think the key point for Mac users is to download the fonts from the Affinity Store & use Font Book to install them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I really should have decided which ones I wanted before just dumping them all in, now I have to spend more time deleting than I would have if I had 41 windows open. Overly exuberant I guess.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

Just now, Old Bruce said:

I really should have decided which ones I wanted before just dumping them all in, now I have to spend more time deleting than I would have if I had 41 windows open. Overly exuberant I guess.

Why not just do that in Font Book, using the collection you created & one of the views that shows samples in the rightmost pane of the app, & just disable instead of deleting the ones you don't plan on using? That way, if you ever decide you do want one of those fonts, you just have to enable it instead of installing it again.

One of the nice things about that is you can disable just selected fonts in a font family. I plan on doing that with several of the fonts, like the extra light & several other members of the Montserrat Alternates family.

Affinity Photo 

I delete often because I have been burned often enough back in the day by corrupted fonts. Overly cautious. I am delighted that there is another sans serif font with so many weight varieties.

11 minutes ago, R C-R said:

the Montserrat Alternates family.

I may wind up with only that one and the Rokkitt fonts simply because of the variety of widths and weights.

6 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I delete often because I have been burned often enough back in the day by corrupted fonts. Overly cautious. I am delighted that there is another sans serif font with so many weight varieties.

I may wind up with only that one and the Rokkitt fonts simply because of the variety of widths and weights.

I once favored keeping the fonts with lots of different widths & weights enabled, but I realized I almost never use more than a fee of them, so these days I just enable the ones I am most likely to use, or mark them as favorites. I also have created several Font Book collections for select fonts with different styles, like script fonts or san-serif ones.

Those collections work well with the Character panel popup, but it would be a lot more useful if in the context menu dropdown that has choices for Favorites, Recently Used, & such I could also filter the results by those collections.

Affinity Photo