You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colors with the same values, but different overprinting state aren’t differentiated.

I reported this times ago, but it isn’t fixed:

1. Create a red (c=0, m=100, y=100, k=0) element.

2. Create two color swatches:

• c=0, m=0, y=0, k=100, overprint=on, swatch name: „overprint"
  • c=0, m=0, y=0, k=100, overprint=off, swatch name: „knockout"
  • Assign each black color to a different object.

3. Place the two black element so, that they overlap the red element.

4. Now select one black element after the other: The color won’t be selected correctly in the swatches panes. Obviously, the color is defined only by its color values, not by the swatch name.

5. Now select the red element – it will be selected correctly.

That means: There is no way to check the correct allocation of different blacks to different elements within Publisher. You have to check it using an extern PDF application like Acrobat Pro.

Why is it important, to define two different k=100 blacks? Simply because it makes sense to assign these different blacks to different elements: Overprinting black to body text, knockout black to bigger black elements.

Here a short older screencast demonstrating the issue:

I have attached a sample file to demonstrate the issue.

different-blacks.afpub

I've brought this up a few times related to global colors.  Overprint or not, this is really a BIG issue for page layout software in particular and I would consider it a showstopper.  I don't think Serif should even think about releasing Publisher until this gets fixed.

2 hours ago, mac_heibu said:

4. Now select one black element after the other: The color won’t be selected correctly in the swatches panes. Obviously, the color is defined only by its color values, not by the swatch name.

Quite odd, indeed. – If I add 1% of another channel to the 100%K then the allocation works.   different-blacks - 2.afpub

I am more disturbed by the export results. It seems the checkbox "overprint black" in export > pdf > more settings has no function. At least I can't get overprinting black for PDF 1.7, the default "(print)" preset, whereas as PDF/X (both 3 and 4) the overprint always occurs even if un-checked as export setting.

Also I experienced one weird r esult, where the knockout-black was overprinting the yellow but knocking-out the magenta only:  different-blacks - 3 _X-4.pdf
different-blacks - 3.afpub

1269277366_blackoverprintknocks-outmagentaonly.jpg.b5f72dd5b5e324fdce1223ffa73d7781.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.