You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Very slow Export

I "Save As" to produce an afphoto file then "Export" to produce an 85% jpg file. With the previous version this was either instant or just a few seconds, but now it is up to 64 seconds with most exports taking between 20 and 30 seconds, although just a few will take about 5 seconds. These are not complex files - just a few adjustment layers. I cannot revert to the previous version as it will not recognise the latest afphoto format, or at least the beta version would not. Am I doing something wrong?

Do you have a sample afphoto file you can upload?

(one that takes a loooooog time to export)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

There seems no rhyme or reason about how long an individual file will take to Export. I have just processed one and this unfortunately was good at about 20 seconds (attached  Sea Fury.afphoto ) - an hour ago I had one that took 73 seconds, when I was about to give up. I have been processing many dozens from an air show and it is taking ages.

In this particular image the Clarity Filter is the one causing the export to be "slow", and on my PC it takes 18 seconds

(Without the clarity filter it takes 2 seconds)

If you move just the Clarity Filter so it is a child layer of your image then the export drops to 9 seconds

So you can either

1. Keep the Clarity Filter and move it

2. Discard the clarity filter and maybe use something else like an Unsharp Mask Filter

In either case...

If, as you say, you have dozens of these to do. If you use the same 4 adjustment layers for each image you can add them all in a macro (including putting the Clarity Filter as a child layer).  All the adjustment will be added with their default values of "no effect", so you then just click on each one and adjust it how you want it.  This should speed up your workflow.

I attach a screenshot showing the clarity filter moved to the child position in the layers panel.

PS If you find another image that is taking over a minute to export please upload it so we can have a look at it to see why.

seafury-fin.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I was about to try without the clarity filter but I looked for a reply first, so it seems as if that is the cause. There does seem to be a sort of a bug with live filter layer/clarity in that I apply that last and it appears beside the last adjustment layer, say vibrance, and has no effect until I move it up to its own layer. With the previous version I just dragged the clarity "icon" up but with this version that will not work, so I have to click on the arrow which puts clarity as a child - which still not work - but then I can drag it up to its own layer. I would have thought it should automatically go on a separate layer. It was very quick with the 1.6.5 version, between 0 and 3 seconds. I have 444 images from the air show so the additional time is quite significant. Thank you for your help.

14 hours ago, mike21 said:

I would have thought it should automatically go on a separate layer. 

It will if you have no adjustment or pixel layer selected at the time. 

14 hours ago, mike21 said:

I have tried again with another photo. It has had no processing at all, apart from clarity attached to the base layer as a child. It took around 32 seconds to process as an exported jpg. I tried several times with the same result each time. afphoto file attached.

On my PC it takes 24 seconds. 

It also takes the same time if the Clarity Filter is not a child layer as the reduction in time (when used as a child layer) is only applicable when you have other adjustment layers that the Clarity Filter is interacting with in the stack.

13 hours ago, mike21 said:

Tried with clarity through filter rather than a live filter layer, and export time is 4 - 5 seconds. The effect is the same but unfortunately it is destructive and cannot be reversed.

You could add a Snapshot (3 extra clicks) just before you add the non-live Clarity Filter which will allow you to reverse that destructive step if you ever need to edit the document in the future.  Bear in mind that adding a snapshot will increase the size of your afphoto file when saved, but the export time to a jpg is unaffected and will still only be 4-5 seconds.

5 minutes ago, manuG said:

Got the same issue, at first I falsely reported it as "export doesn't work / crashes" - but then realized in 1.7 it just takes forever exporting jpegs.

If you could upload a sample APhoto file that takes "forever" to export it may help the Devs identify what the "problem" is and how they may improve it in the future. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2019 at 9:24 AM, carl123 said:

If you could upload a sample APhoto file that takes "forever" to export it may help the Devs identify what the "problem" is and how they may improve it in the future. 

Any highres foto (say 6k) with a few (say 5) adjustment layers does.

• 6 months later...

I'm having the same trouble with the Mac Version. I'm currently trying to average an image stack of about 70 frames. Loading the frames into Affinity Photo took all night, it shows the small previews of each stacked layer, but I cannot see an image on the main viewer. Trying to export the result is currently running at 4h, but I have to break it off since I need the computer for something else. Looking at the Activity Monitor, it uses about 25GB of RAM (which is ok for that amount of full size layers), and an insignificant amount of CPU usage is registered (well below 100%).

Even smaller projects take forever to export (minutes). It is mostly easier to just take a screenshot of the result than to save an image properly, if I do not need full resolution files.

I'm working on the older Mac Pro with 32 GB RAM and dual graphics cards.

• 1 year later...

I also have this problem.
Worked fine and then suddenly it takes a long time to export.

UPDATE: I figured it out. My PNG export setting was with diffusion. I probably that by mistake.

iMac mid-2017
Max memory

iMac mid-2017
3,6 Ghz / 32G