You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Double sided business cards for home printing

Hi - I'm not a designer and not that familiar with the Affinity suite so please be gentle!  I have Photo, Designer and the Publisher Beta and I've pre ordered Publisher.  I'm an artist and I want to produce my own business cards, double sided, which I can print out at home.  I have designed the card in Publisher (though maybe it should have been in Designer?) and I'd now like to produce a printable A4 sheet with multiple copies of the card (double sided).  I've managed to do this, but the problem is that I need crop marks to show me where to cut the cards on my guillotine so that they're all the same size (they don't have any border to follow).  Also, how do I make sure that the front and back are aligned properly?  Should I be doing this in Designer or Publisher?  Or maybe both?  I've attached the file of what I've already done in case that helps.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could talk me though this in baby steps! :)

Thanks

Business Card June 2019.afpub

If you enlarge the canvas size to A4, you can lay out multiple copies of the design on the canvas and add crop marks wherever needed.

Affinity Designer doesn’t have pages yet, but you can work around that by creating one artboard for the fronts of the cards and another one for the backs. When you export to PDF, the first page will comprise the contents of the lower artboard and the second page will comprise the contents of the upper artboard.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Unless I’m missing something, you just need to draw short, thin lines with the Pen Tool in ‘Line’ mode. To keep them straight, hold down the Shift key while drawing.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just a quick note for using manually-created crop marks: When you cut your card don’t cut all of the way across the card, just cut to the end-point of the crop mark so that when you’re finished you leave yourself with a set of cards and an intact border rectangle. Otherwise you’ll cut away the crop marks and they’ll be unusable with any accuracy.

Edit: Image added.

crop-marks.png

Edited by GarryP
Added image for (hopefully) more clarity.