You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please completely redo the "Resize Document"

Please completely redo the "Resize Document" feature.
It does NOT work as it should, "by design" because its design conception was completely wrong from day one, and now in v. 1.7 has evolved to become a major problem.
I and others have reported this as a bug, but Affinity has closed this as "Designed". The resize tool was designed without the features necessary for correct functionality and should be redone from scratch to be similar to the correct settings (as in Photoshop). There are many lengthy discussions on this topic in the forums.

I have not found need to completely redo resize command – it is just that you should be able to enter image size in millimetres when having "resample" not checked and have then dpi value automatically updated. Now size fields are greyed out.

What else should be different?

• 2 weeks later...

Just popping in here to express similar concerns with the "Resize Document" dialog. It's weird.

Here's a very common situation for me: A client sends me a 5x7" image. But because of the way they sent it, the metadata has been stripped, and it opens as a 20.833x19.167" document at 72dpi. Easy enough in Photoshop: Launch Image Size, turn off Resample, and change the DPI to 300, and et voila, the document is the correct 5x7" again. (Sorry for the use of inches, I'm one of those Americans.)

In Affinity Photo it … doesn't seem to make much of a difference whether Resample is on or off? I launch Resize Document, turn off Resample, change the DPI to 300, and … the document is still the same size in inches, but its pixel size has ballooned to 4 times what it had been before.

And if I want to resize it to, say, 4" wide and see how high the DPI turns out … I guess I'm out of luck, since the scale measurements are greyed out?

I know I'm pretty new to the Affinity universe, but this just doesn't seem right to me? I've even read the Help topic on "Changing image size (scaling and resampling)," but the way it's described in Help doesn't seem to be the way it's working in the app itself. If this is how it's supposed to work "by design," I don't understand what the design of the feature is or how it's supposed to be used.

I've also noticed it seems to work better when the rulers are set to Pixels, but having the rulers set to Inches (again … American here, dealing with American clients and print projects) seems to negate the whole point of the resample/resize function. Any help here? Or any hope of making this work more logically?

I've attached a few collected screencaps so our discussion can have more focus. Thanks!

ImageResize.jpg

14 hours ago, Cooner said:

doesn't seem to make much of a difference whether Resample is on or off? I launch Resize Document, turn off Resample, change the DPI to 300, and … the document is still the same size in inches, but its pixel size has ballooned to 4 times what it had been before.

There is a new bug. That have not happened before version 1.7.0 (I confirmed this really happens).

8 hours ago, Fixx said:

There is a new bug. That have not happened before version 1.7.0 (I confirmed this really happens).

Aaaah, gotcha, thanks. Well that's good to hear, hopefully it'll be fixed soon … that was certainly the worst of it.

It would still be nice if you could resize by designating a width/height in addition to by DPI resolution, as well, though.