You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I can't believe this is not done yet. I'm trying to overlay a pop art drawing over an image of a chair, So there are a lot of vector lines crossing so they create a fillable zone between them. That is what I need anyway which I can do with Gimp. So apparently I just wasted a couple hours on Designer, only to go online and find that lots of people want to do similar things, and have wanted it for a long time. AArgh. So I will do it over again using Gimp and suck it up. 

Actually I just realized I can cut and paste my vectors into Gimp and get it done. At least I won't have to redraw the whole thing. I'll let you know if the cut and paste process I just described goes poorly.

yeah...

...knife tool and no links for images... (blend... bla bla bla)

Fortunately my company subscribes adobe CC and I'm using Illustrator at home (...2 computers+1)

I've already gave up from Affinity.

Sometimes I think that serif is an Adobe company, wich they only use to show the people that they are the real deal.

Because this kind of things are unbelievable.

Hey heads up. In Gimp I can fill those crossing path zones simply because they enclose a space with no trimming, node manipulation or boolean operations. 10 Seconds to proof. Paste, choose the fill bucket, color, and click in the zone. I can be even sloppier with my vectors extending past lines into space!

22 hours ago, Nelo said:

Sometimes I think that serif is an Adobe company, wich they only use to show the people that they are the real deal.

Because this kind of things are unbelievable.

No, that's simply not true. Affinity is an amazing peace of software.

I'm just waiting for the minute Affinity will recognize they need to hire more programmers in order to move forward. they will then get done all the important stuff - including multi-language support - very quickly.

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2020 at 1:35 AM, Gaylord said:

I can't believe this is not done yet. I'm trying to overlay a pop art drawing over an image of a chair, So there are a lot of vector lines crossing so they create a fillable zone between them. That is what I need anyway which I can do with Gimp. So apparently I just wasted a couple hours on Designer, only to go online and find that lots of people want to do similar things, and have wanted it for a long time. AArgh. So I will do it over again using Gimp and suck it up. 

Actually I just realized I can cut and paste my vectors into Gimp and get it done. At least I won't have to redraw the whole thing. I'll let you know if the cut and paste process I just described goes poorly.

So you basically can do everything right in GIMP ?
Why must you use AD anyway ?

Yes I also miss the knife tool but the current workarounds aren't that taxing - I dont see it as something I need to go to another app for - (unlike Vector distortions and warps) surely we can all get by with the pencil tool and divide for the time being

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

The only problem with this approach is often you don't want the width of the line (created using expand stroke) reflected when you perform the divide. It's currently impossible to divide a shape using just a line, and dividing a shape with a line that has no width does nothing.

11 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Agreed. And in comparing Affinity apps with Adobe's, the price difference must be taken into account somewhere along the line. I wonder what the price/tool ratio is for AD and AI.

I would like there to be a knife tool. There really should be one.

Just add this and I think the vector toolset in AD is complete :D

• 1 month later...

Hi! Sorry if my English is basic regarding computer and applications, I'm French.

I'm trying to find out whether I'll switch from Illustrator to Designer; the price of the latest is simply amazing, and worth wondering... I won't be able to pay another year of Adobe :/

Yet, when trying to draw a map, or just cut an object, I found myself in your situation: where are the knife and the scissors? I don't blame Designer, for it is already a real and interesting challenger to Illustrator (and once again, SOOOOO much cheaper...), but I really need those tools. Maybe they will appear sooner or later, does anyone have an idea on how to deal with such things as roads in a map, without them?

Thanks.

Ariane

Edited by ariane06
mistake

On 1/27/2021 at 6:08 PM, ariane06 said:

Hi! Sorry if my English is basic regarding computer and applications, I'm French.

I'm trying to find out whether I'll switch from Illustrator to Designer; the price of the latest is simply amazing, and worth wondering... I won't be able to pay another year of Adobe :/

Yet, when trying to draw a map, or just cut an object, I found myself in your situation: where are the knife and the scissors? I don't blame Designer, for it is already a real and interesting challenger to Illustrator (and once again, SOOOOO much cheaper...), but I really need those tools. Maybe they will appear sooner or later, does anyone have an idea on how to deal with such things as roads in a map, without them?

Thanks.

Ariane

Take a look at Gravit Designer if a real knife tool is important in your workflow. Gravit Designer also sports an excellent pen tool. Website: https://www.designer.io/en/

For some reason there are almost no vector tools is Affinity Designer other than a few basic. I had to purchase a professional program from one of their competitors for my personal work after years of fruitless waiting.

Some here will suggest you use the Boolean operators. This image shows an artist after hours of using that advice:

editline_example.png

Drawing maps using Boolean operators is like texting on a smartphone with your feet, so I do understand why you miss the knife tool. We are many in here that needs additional tools.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 4 weeks later...

As has already been noted you can chop up shapes by running lines through them, selecting both with line on top, then pressing divide, but it is easy to miss some of the details:

1. Draw a line or lines through your shape

2. The default setting in preferences/user interface decimal places for points is 1, set it to 3 or more.

3. set the stroke size for the line to 0.001 points (best for accurate snapping according to Loukash)

4. With the line selected choose layer-->expand stroke

5 Shift select the shape as well as the line.

6 press boolean divide.

That works well for the cases I have where this functionality is useful. 

Probably Serif will implement knife tool sometime, as it was on their roadmap, but there is no way of knowing when that will be (next major version, ie 2.0?), since they are keeping future development plans under their hats, as users don't always understand the primary law of software development,  Hofstadter's law: "It always takes longer than you think it will, even if you take Hofstadter's law into account"!? In the meantime reintroducing requests for these features doesn't serve a lot of purpose, unless it is to clarify work arounds.

• 2 months later...

I really like designer so far but we really need an eraser tool its kinda bad not being able erase parts of a line or delete nodes easily

also a knife tool would be really useful these two things would make the software so much easier to use

Well, seems that affinity won't do this feature anytime soon. Either they can't do it (The way affinity works and will need to change a bunch of stuff that will take a lot of effort to do) or they simply don't care. Yes, there are ways to do it BUT those are complicated ways for the beginner user, so why not just do it so we can stop nagging about it? Other programs have it, so why not affinity? Come on guys! It's been YEARS since people began to request such a feature.

• 2 weeks later...

This is absolutely insane there is no knife tool after how many years of people continuosly asking for such a simple thing. But at least we have 8 ways to make a corner and the 0.0001% of users can use Photo for Astrophotography. Absolutely ridiculous.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...