You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2019 at 2:01 PM, pointery said:

Its on the road map.

The roadmap was deleted by Serif.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

17 hours ago, Bryce said:

I would love to know what is so special about the knife tool. I'm not trying to be condescending. I've just never found it that useful.

If you need it, you need it. If you don't need it then it is just clutter in the toolbar.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

18 hours ago, Bryce said:

I would love to know what is so special about the knife tool. I'm not trying to be condescending. I've just never found it that useful.

There are different ways of working/designing. Some people build their designs from basic shapes and then cut off the parts they don't need. This can be accomplished with guide lines and adding nodes and breaking the shape. The knife tool would simply cut through. Preferably with a SHIFT+click and perhaps snapping along a line across the canvas.

Personally I am happy with the node tool and breaking apart. Or the geometry fuctions. But the knive tool can be a shortcut (no pun intended) in some situations.

This tutorial gives you an idea of what can be done with it: 

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

18 hours ago, Bryce said:

If you prefer to create another object and then cut or divide that's fine. But some of us like it more fast when in basic geometry: Just chose the knife tool and cut (Straight or freehand). Simple and fast! And really freehand if using a tablet...

Sure, for a more complex geometry cut, better use a division operation for example.

Also, agree with Glickyeraser tool is also nice to have! (specially when using a tablet)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The knife tool is an incredible speed enhancer, but in order to have a very fast workflow with it, the software also needs to make very good use of key modifiers.  While using the knife tool, you should be able to hold a key modifier and access other tools that are always needed rather than constantly going back to the toolbox to switch tools.  For now, Affinity Designer makes very little use of key modifiers.  Better use of key modifiers would be a game changer, in terms of workflow across all of the tools in Affinity Designer.

Doing more and more of my illustration jobs in Designer I am badly missing a knife and/or eraser tool, too!

When doing comercial work for clients, time is what counts. So everything that speeds up the working process is greatly welcomed!

It's not chiefly the "big new features" that makes a software the tool of choice, it's the fine enhancements in the workflow, that let you do your work fast. Switch tools to often, clicking through menus and panels to often slows the work down, since some things have to be done hundreds of times a day. That's in many cases the cause, why I prefer the Affintiy apps today. But there's still some room for improvement 😉.

On 7/2/2019 at 11:31 AM, Old Bruce said:

If you need it, you need it. If you don't need it then it is just clutter in the toolbar.

Then how about a toolbar that can be customized to hide the tools we don't need.  Serif DrawPlus could do that.  You could customize the whole UI and make a toolbar that had only the tools you needed.  I created a toolbar that made sense for working with just stylus on a small screen and maximized my workspace that way.  AD doesn't have any of that great functionality.

7 minutes ago, Kuttyjoe said:

Then how about a toolbar that can be customized to hide the tools we don't need.  Serif DrawPlus could do that.  You could customize the whole UI and make a toolbar that had only the tools you needed.  I created a toolbar that made sense for working with just stylus on a small screen and maximized my workspace that way.  AD doesn't have any of that great functionality.

Go to View > Customize Toolbar...

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 6/18/2019 at 4:04 PM, Nelo said:

Yes. I don't understand this monster fault.

A design program without a knife tool???! WTF?!

Road map?!...

It should have been implemented since version Alfa. ...because Beta is already stupid! And at the moment we're far ahead in the alphabet: (

I don't get it either, it's ridiculous. I thought the knife tool was a basic necessity for any graphic design software. The boolean operations can't be used in every situation where the knife tool would just do. Besides, I feel the boolean operations must have functionality issues as there times when I select the desired objects to either add or subtract etc and the boolean buttons are simply greyed out!

On 3/31/2020 at 3:12 PM, Old Bruce said:

Go to View > Customize Toolbar...

Check out Serif's discontinued DrawPlus or Coreldraw to get an idea of what I'm talking about.  DrawPlus was far more customizable than what's possible with Designer.

41 minutes ago, pyxelles said:

I don't get it either, it's ridiculous. I thought the knife tool was a basic necessity for any graphic design software. The boolean operations can't be used in every situation where the knife tool would just do. Besides, I feel the boolean operations must have functionality issues as there times when I select the desired objects to either add or subtract etc and the boolean buttons are simply greyed out!

Also, some of the critical ones are missing.

• 4 weeks later...