You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.1.138 won't launch on 10.8.5

• Staff

@StevenR 

Sorry about this regression, the next beta should work on 10.8.5 (as should the 1.7.1 MAS release build)

@mac_heibu

Although not officially supported operating systems, the MAS build runs [or should run] on 10.8.x and 10.7.x so we try to keep the beta doing the same. For sandbox reasons the release builds sold through the Affinity Store do not run on 10.7.x or 10.8.x . [The betas do but with a few features like maps not functioning]

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

9 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Sorry about this regression, the next beta should work on 10.8.5 (as should the 1.7.1 MAS release build)

So this beta, which supposedly "fixed startup crash on 10.7, 10.8," will be superseded by one or more betas, which will restore 10.8 functionality and eventually become the full 1.7.1 release? Is there an estimate on when that might happen?

• Staff
3 hours ago, joel_ec said:

so why are the Affinity store releases different ?

Outside of the (sandboxed) Mac App Store we can only offer the full functionality of the application on 10.9 and above. So the Affinity store version only runs on 10.9 and above. As I understand it the beta build has the maps application interactions disabled so it can run on 10.7 & 10.8. It is only fair that all owners of the MAS version should be able to beta test new builds, and the only way to do that in an unsandboxed application is to comment out a bit of the unsupported functionality for beta, but NOT for Affinity Store release builds, hence the 10.9 and above limitation.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

Outside of the (sandboxed) Mac App Store we can only offer the full functionality of the application on 10.9 and above. So the Affinity store version only runs on 10.9 and above. As I understand it the beta build has the maps application interactions disabled so it can run on 10.7 & 10.8. It is only fair that all owners of the MAS version should be able to beta test new builds, and the only way to do that in an unsandboxed application is to comment out a bit of the unsupported functionality for beta, but NOT for Affinity Store release builds, hence the 10.9 and above limitation.

You might want to consider moving that functionality into a library which can be loaded into the app dynamically when running on 10.9 and above and is simply left out on older versions.  That way you can create an app that works universally but simply leaves out the unsupported functionality on older versions of the OS.

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

You might want to consider moving that functionality into a library which can be loaded into the app dynamically when running on 10.9 and above and is simply left out on older versions.  That way you can create an app that works universally but simply leaves out the unsupported functionality on older versions of the OS.

I agree, this way 10.7 and 10.8 users (and I know they aren't really numerous) can buy from Affinity store... so it makes more money for you... and perhaps you'll do the same way for other functionalities when dropping 10.9 full support.

Personally, I'm using Mojave, El Capitan and Lion on 2 different locations (+ a laptop) and i would prefer using Photo and publisher on my 24" white imac than using the laptop.. I bought Photo from the MAS and preordered Publisher from the Affinity store... but I wonder if I should cancel the preorder and buy it from the MAS... or not.

• Staff
1 hour ago, fde101 said:

moving that functionality into a library which can be loaded into the app dynamically

As I understand the sandbox requirements of an app are part of the package and the same  'file' is used for all OS's. Certain permission are not allowed in any package on Lion and Mountain Lion outside of the store, and there is only one download package. So moving anything to a library (code wise) is not a solution, but thanks for the suggestion,

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.