You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Transform Controls in Designer 1.7.0 ???

On opening the new Designer 1.7 for iPad, when I grabbed a handle with the move tool I was able to skew the object left to right and also up and down.

However, I can’t figure out why or how this happened!? Subsequently, I have tried to replicate skewing and most of the time it just goes to rotate or does regular transforms. 

Does anyone know how this skew option works and how to engage it reliably as it will very useful to utilize.

thanks!

KTDN

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, KTDN said:

that said Designer could really use this feature!

Designer already has this feature in Transform studio. It’s called Shear. :)

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

That is useful to know! Thanks! 

I was also able to do the same up and down (on the Y plane) is that also possible using the shear controls? It seems as though it’s only possible to shear on the X plane.

KTDN

• Staff

The in app help in Photo and Designer are still being updated for 1.7 and will appear in a later update, sorry. However, Skew (shear) on the side handles is not new, so does skew not show when searching the (1.6) help I think it's a common enough thing to put under "shear"

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Not for iPad.

The weird thing is — not simply that one can shear — but that (as in the video I shared) it engages using the move tool, and unlike the shear feature in transform studio which only shears on the x plane, it is also possible to shear on the y plane.

Basically, being able to shear using the move tool (by accident), is a bug, or this feature was being developed and code that enabled it at some point, hasn’t been fully removed.

would be great to see this make it to a future update but for now, I was just hoping to let the people at Serif know about the bug.

KTDN

On 6/13/2019 at 8:51 PM, DWright said:

Can you please send me a screen recording of this with the show touches enabled as I have been unable to replicate this can you also please let me know the iPad model you are using.

I am using the iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (2nd generation)

• Staff
1 hour ago, KTDN said:

I was just hoping to let the people at Serif know about the bug

Not a bug, 100% by design to grab a side handle close to scale and slightly further away from the object to shear. Same as the desktop. Difficulty in seeing what you are doing (near a side handle) with a finger can be improved using a pencil on devices that support one.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

24 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Difficulty in seeing what you are doing (near a side handle) with a finger can be improved using a pencil on devices that support one.

Or any capacitive stylus with a pointed tip on an iPad that doesn’t support an Apple Pencil. (I use a Meko stylus on my iPad Air 2.)

9 hours ago, KTDN said:

That is useful to know! Thanks! 

I was also able to do the same up and down (on the Y plane) is that also possible using the shear controls? It seems as though it’s only possible to shear on the X plane.

KTDN

To shear on the Y plane, you need to use a combination of rotating and shearing:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

8 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Not a bug, 100% by design to grab a side handle close to scale and slightly further away from the object to shear. 

Nice to know.  :)  Any chance this could be added to the Help file Shear info?

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff

@acapstick  is side handle shear/skew on the iPad part of the changes coming for 1.7 iPad help ?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• 6 months later...

Late to discussion... I also thought it was a bug as it's hard to duplicate and no documentation. 

I finally was able to do it consistently. The area beside the bounding box for shearing is very small, a bit too close to the box it will scale, a smidge too far it will de-select.

Will need tablet specific UI to mark the shearing spot outside the bounding box. Unlike desktop there is no cursor in iPad version that will change when "hovered" over the right location.