You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transparent background to image

I am having a little trouble finding how to make a background transparent but leave the image visible when layered over another picture.  ie I want to layer this image over a light gray shield but it still shows the white background of the image and I cannot work out how to do it in Publisher. Using the transparency tool makes the whole image transparent.   In PagePlus you had a tool to click which would make the single color pixels of the background transparent

image.png

Select the castle layer and change it's blend mode to Multiply. 

Duckula-does-transparency.gif

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Multiply, as the above poster said. There is however a more advanced way to permanently remove the background that works on any layer:

1. Ctrl + shift + alt + L click the layer thumbnail in the Layers panel to create a luminosity selection.

2. Ctrl + I to inverse the image colours (you can later use the same command to revert this after doing the final step).

3. Create a Fill layer to copy the luminosity selection onto it.

4. You now have separated the image from the background with the added benefit of being able to change colour of your image live.

You can also automate this entire process by recording a macro.

@Frozen Death Knight You do realise Vishy is working in Publisher?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Many thanks. The video was brill and the background went transparent and I moved it to the shield.  However when I come to lock them together as one image. its not happening.  It locks one or the other but not the two into one..   I am trying to add several layers to form a logo to use on a product

Thank you Frozendeath but I found that a bit too complicated.    Much prefer the simple click here solution..

Ahh after a bit of playing found the GROUP tool.  All now works as I want it to  Thanks again

Edited by Malenibo