You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush size and hardness control with a Wacom tablet pen in Affinity Photo 1.7.0

The brush size/hardness control is not working on Affinity 1.7 by using the Wacom pen (similar to using Alt+Mouse_RC+Mouse_LC).

I already reinstalled the Wacom drivers after uninstalling and removing all the settings and registry keys.

I have the following configuration:

• Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 - latest version
  • Wacom drivers 6.3.34-3 - latest version
  • Windows 10 64 bit on Lenovo Yoga 920

Moreover, Drag+Alt to pick a color is way off, both while using a pen or a mouse; the color picker magnifier shows snapshots from a different area of the image.

@iBaloo42,

Just tried this with my old Intuos 3 and don't have any problems. Did see there was an updated driver so downloaded and installed, still don't have the issues you describe.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

7 minutes ago, iBaloo42 said:

Thank you Ron. It's great that you have sun above your house, but mine is still under dark clouds. AKA, your post is not very helpful.

Sorry for my answer... That was not very gracious of me. I appreciate that you tried to replicate the issue, but what is happening on one system might not happen on another one. That is why the classic developer's excuse, "it's not a defect, it is working on my machine" does not stand up in a respectable software development environment.

13 hours ago, iBaloo42 said:

Sorry for my answer... That was not very gracious of me. I appreciate that you tried to replicate the issue, but what is happening on one system might not happen on another one. That is why the classic developer's excuse, "it's not a defect, it is working on my machine" does not stand up in a respectable software development environment.

I was not implying there is not a problem, it appears it may not be universal with the program, ie; a configuration with some machines. Windows Ink seems to create various problems when using pen tablets. I had problems with it a few years ago, until I disabled it. I may have uninstalled it, as I can not find it on my machine now. There's numerous posts about Windows Ink messing with various tablets, Wacom's included. Here's how to disable Windows Ink Disable Windows Ink Workspace

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

9 hours ago, Ron P. said:

I was not implying there is not a problem, it appears it may not be universal with the program, ie; a configuration with some machines. Windows Ink seems to create various problems when using pen tablets. I had problems with it a few years ago, until I disabled it. I may have uninstalled it, as I can not find it on my machine now. There's numerous posts about Windows Ink messing with various tablets, Wacom's included. Here's how to disable Windows Ink Disable Windows Ink Workspace

@Ron P. Thank you, Ron. Disabling the Windows Ink Workspace is not doing anything useful to resolve my problem. 

I tried the pen in MediBang PaintPro, which has a similar feature of resizing the brush, and it is working perfectly there; the color picker is working fine here too. I also tried Krita, and the color picker is working fine there as well. I tried the pen with color picker tools with many other graphical applications and they are doing just fine.

In Affinity Photo, the color picker is working if I'm doing a simple click. If I let the color picker to enter in the zoom mode, I can see a snapshot that it is from a totally different image area. 

Affinity Photo is using Windows Ink as a virtual layer. The same for MediBang PaintPro. One is working correctly, and the other one is not. 

The pen used to work correctly a while ago in the Affinity 1.7 Beta; I've checked it out...

Is only an idea, could it be that the option "high precision tablet" is activated.

If yes, then disable this option

Cheers

Tablet.png

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

I have installed the latest Wacom driver and the problem seems to be fixed now.

I know that you, Affinity, might think that you can move on now on this particular issue as you might conclude that it was Wacom's fault. However, please consider that Photo's relationship with Wacom driver is too brittle, as these kinds of issues are not reproducible with other pen-supported applications. 

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff
On 6/25/2019 at 7:06 PM, iBaloo42 said:

However, please consider that Photo's relationship with Wacom driver is too brittle

We have recently started working with Wacom to improve drawing in Affinity. We realise there are improvements to be made and these types of discussions on the forum can be very helpful. 

• 10 months later...

Hi everybody,

Sorry for waking up this topic again but I am having the same issues. Brush size etc. doesn't work with my new Wacom Intuos. The mouse is fine, but it seems Photo doesn't recognize both clicks from the pen/tablet at the same time. Tried all different settings in the driver but all in vain.

I hope it will be fixed!

Greetings
Emil

EDIT: I SOLVED IT!!! It seems the Windows Ink has to be also turned OFF in the driver settings (not only in the registry of Windows 10), too. I did the driver setting change explicitly for Affinity Photo (you can set different settings for different tools). Now it is working like a charm! I will keep my post in case someone stumples over the same issue. :

Edited by emilstefx

On 6/4/2020 at 12:27 AM, emilstefx said:

EDIT: I SOLVED IT!!! It seems the Windows Ink has to be also turned OFF in the driver settings (not only in the registry of Windows 10), too. I did the driver setting change explicitly for Affinity Photo (you can set different settings for different tools). Now it is working like a charm! I will keep my post in case someone stumples over the same issue. :

Hi everybody again.

It seems the issue is a bit deeper and depends on several settings at the same time which are scattered in several tools and Windows 10 settings. After I fixed the brush size issue, another one popped up: pressure sensitivity disappeared no matter which brush or setting I chose.

Nevertheless, I think I managed to fix my issue throughout all the apps, tools, programmes.

I will post my settings in case somebody runs into that issue and lands here thanks to the search engines.

Windows 10 with Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 & Wacom Intuos (Driver version 6.3.39-1)

Windows 10: Windows Ink deactivated (via Win+R > "gpedit.msc" > Computer configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Ink Workspace (double click > set to disabled)

Wacom driver: I have created an extra sub-setting for Affinity Photo. Under "Photo" > Projection > Turn off "Use Windows Ink" (Sorry, my driver language settings are in German)

euZ4J0v.png

Affinity Photo settings: Disable "Use Windows Ink for tablet input under "Preferrences > Tools".

xlSpjmO.png

I am curious what are your settings and if they work properly with your Wacom tablet.

Thank you!

Best regards
Emil

Edited by emilstefx

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2020 at 7:54 PM, emilstefx said:

Hi everybody again.

It seems the issue is a bit deeper and depends on several settings at the same time which are scattered in several tools and Windows 10 settings. After I fixed the brush size issue, another one popped up: pressure sensitivity disappeared no matter which brush or setting I chose.

Nevertheless, I think I managed to fix my issue throughout all the apps, tools, programmes.

I will post my settings in case somebody runs into that issue and lands here thanks to the search engines.

Windows 10 with Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 & Wacom Intuos (Driver version 6.3.39-1)

Windows 10: Windows Ink deactivated (via Win+R > "gpedit.msc" > Computer configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Ink Workspace (double click > set to disabled)

Wacom driver: I have created an extra sub-setting for Affinity Photo. Under "Photo" > Projection > Turn off "Use Windows Ink" (Sorry, my driver language settings are in German)

euZ4J0v.png

Affinity Photo settings: Disable "Use Windows Ink for tablet input under "Preferrences > Tools".

xlSpjmO.png

I am curious what are your settings and if they work properly with your Wacom tablet.

Thank you!

Best regards
Emil

Ever since I switched to Affinity Photo it bothered me that this "gesture" was buggy in Affinity on my computer (it always worked in Clip Studio Paint).

Now I use the exact settings you described (but with an older wacom driver, as the current one seems to break the "rotate"- function in 3D programs) and I can switch between those softwares without having to adjust my shortcut-habits. 

Thank you sooo much! :)

Yannick