You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

nik collection, affinity 1.7.0

to add to Steven's comments (and the many other that have been posted around this issue)

I make much use of the combination mac Photos->Affinity Photo->NIK (now from DXO). With 1.6.7 it worked well.

I contacted DXO and their response was:

"the combination of Nik Collection 2018 and Affinity Photo is not officially supported"

I was curious if the new NIK version (Nik2) would work and DXO responded:

"I do apologize, but as Affinity is not a certified host software, we cannot provide support for that combination.  This does include Nik Collection 2 as well."

the question is why Affinity is not been supported by Nik and if perhaps enough Affinity users need to express their needs/requirements to find a work around? (besides using NIK as a stand alone app?)

Maybe DxO should make a "back of the envelope" calculation.  As more people reject Adobe's pay-by-the-month scheme for competitors' buy-it-once scheme, it's exactly those people who will have the loose change to buy the Nik Collection.

Richard Liu

MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Max | macOS 12.3.1 | BenQ SW271 | Affinity Photo 1.10.5

• Staff

They have never officially been supported but they did work for a lot of people. We've updated to use Xcode 10 which is why a lot of the unsupported plugins have suddenly stopped working. Unfortunately, we would need the plugin developers to update the plugins to work with Xcode 10.

DxO have apparently done this but are now charging for their new version. Some users are reporting success and others are reporting that the new version doesn't work :( 

Xcode 10? - What‘s the specific point with plugins here in relation to code generation, or the switchable build system? 

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Hi Steve,

I am surprised this works for you on 1.7. It of course was the way to make it work for 1.6.7 and Dam did a great job describing the details (I also recommend all his Affinity tutorials and marcos). Do you use Mac, if yes what version are you running?

thanks

Well that‘s all nothing new or a real solution here for the older NIK installments. Much more interesting is what due to Xcode 10 alters the plug-in API behavior here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Hi everybody,

The latest release (version 2, released last week) of Nik Collection works perfectly with AP 1.7,  but I don't know if it's worth the upgrade price, since it not really seems to have something "new"...  (At least, I didn't see anything new for now)

Anyway, it works (and that is new!). So if you really need the plugin, maybe you can upgrade.

Fx

FxRphoto, can you please help in understanding how come NIK works perfectly for you? What operating system are you using?

Is there anything else you have done to get it to work? How come you don't seem to have the "updating fonts" message that so many of us have and that makes Affinity crash?

As for NIK 2018 and NIK 2 here is what DXO support had told me: "I do apologize, but as Affinity is not a certified host software, we cannot provide support for that combination.  This does include Nik Collection 2 as well." 

So what is the reason Nik2 will work better than Nik2018 according to your findings?

thx

Hello arnim,

I am working on both an iMac 2012 and a MacBook Pro 2015 with OSX Mojave.

I updated to Nik Collection 2 last week and I mostly use SilverEfex. On both system, when I open a TIFF file from AP 1.7 via the Nik plugin, I no longer have the "updating fonts" message and the plugin doesn't cause AP to freeze.

44 minutes ago, arnim said:

So what is the reason Nik2 will work better than Nik2018 according to your findings?

Actually, I don't know...

I admit that my "perfectly works" assertion is a bit overstated since I have not made a lot of testing so far. But it seems to work for me...

The bug comes from DXO, not Affinity. But I think that they do not care very much about the Nik Collection, that's what this new version demonstrate (just check the DXO forum and count the number of answer posted by the team on Nik...). The same UI as the free google version,  not even a dark mode for Mojave, nothing new aside some useless presets since I bought my first version (for 150$) from Nik Software back in 2014. I don't need something new every month, I prefer stable tools. But here, It seems that DXO has followed the way of Google, and just bought Nik to integrate its algorithms within their own software.

As a conclusion, I paid 60€ last year for a first upgrade, I never used because it never really worked on AP 1.6.7, then I paid 60 more euros last week and now it seems to work. But by the time, I improved my skills with AP and do most of my work with its tools to the same results. So, I think I won't pay again for Nik until DXO clearly decide to work on it.

Fx

P.S.: Sorry arnim, maybe it is a bit far from what you asked... 

• Staff

Hi arnim,
The Nik Collection 2 by DxO should run with Affinity Photo with the exception of HDR Efex Pro 2 (the plugin loads but doesn’t display any image in the preview window and may crash Affinity Photo when/if you hit Apply). Viveza 2 also may display incorrect colours (colour shifts) in the preview window (the Navigator display them correctly) - zoom in in these cases may display them correctly. Apart from these issues (there may be others we are still testing the latest release), all the rest should run/work in Affinity. I advise you to download the trial they have on their site and check if it works for you on your system.

A few users are also reporting the font updating issue with Nik Collection 2 but I believe these problems are due to a faulty Nik Collection upgrade/installation - we are investigating this.

Hi Meb,

thank you for your post. Unfortunately it does not work for me with Nik2. Just downloaded the Nik2 trail version and have exactly the same issue "updating fonts", attached screenshot showing I am using Affinity 1.7, mojave and I guess there is no way to see it is the Nik2 I am running...

Tried also with silverfexpro with same results

a shame..will have to use Nik as a separate application until a ture solution might be available.

791150485_ScreenShot2019-06-13at1_50_59PM.thumb.jpg.0a363119a4069f5b477560b16c01feb3.jpg

• Staff

Hi arnim,
That's probably due to a faulty/incorrect Nik installation. Please follow these steps:
- download the latest Nik Collection installer/trial from the DxO homepage, in case you have trashed it
- run the Uninstaller app to clean app the current/previous installation (it's contained in the DMG file/Nik installer)
- follow the instructions on this video. Pay attention to the section that starts at 0:40s where James click the "+" button to add a custom folder to where install the plugin files. This folder must be created manually by you. James has created it on his desktop and called it Plugins but I advise you to create the folder inside the Applications folder on your Mac and call it Photoshop Plugins (or whatever you see fit). Then, when you click the "+" button (as in the 0:40s in the video) point it to that folder you just created and continue following the rest of the instructions in the video. The Nik installer will create a new folder named/labelled DxO inside the folder you created - this is where are located the plugin files - and its the folder you have to browse to/add to the Plugin Search Folder section in Affinity Photo Photoshop Plugins Preferences.

Let me know if you still have issues after following those steps.

Hi Meb,

thank you for taking the effort to explain the details and the link to the video. I tried it with Nik2018 and it did not make a difference (still showing updating fonts) issue BUT with Nik2 it does work as you had stated.

much appreciated, now back to photo taking and editing

Hi Meb,

Downloaded the new Beta version of AP, but NIK1 doesn't open. In fact when I go to filters menu and scroll down to plugins nothing happens. BTW, I am using a Mac desktop running the latest updated operating system. Thanks for all you efforts!

HRP

Yes, just tried with v141 and my Google NIK's are working without any problems (in a small, short test).

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

Well I already thought that the whole behavior probably has more to do at all with the way of the Affinity code generation (MacOS related build system and compilation) of the PS API connection in this case. Fine if they got it now sorted out/working and on the occasion also fixed some of the previously existing issues.

People should make the distinction between NIk for Affinity on MAC  and Affinity on windows.

When DxO came out with the upgrade version 1.1, they said that version 1.1 was now fully compatible with Affinity on MAC, but not on Widows. I use Windows and have no way of checking if that is true for MAC. Now they came out with another update with some minor changes, but nothing to write home about and it still does not fully work with Affinity for Windows. I Paid $50. for version 1.0 $50 for version1.1 (Stupid) and now they want another $60 for a minor upgrade.  They can fool me once, but not twice. (3 times actually)

That would be $160.00  for a plug-in that is still not fully compatible with my favorite editing software, which is crazy, so I am done with them and besides, there is very little NIK does that can't be done some other way, either within Affinity or with a more friendly plug-in. Even the NIK modules that do work, do not have all the features available on NIK for PS.

Not sure why people care so much about NIK. Trust me, this feeling with NIK/DxO is not mutual. DxO was in bad financial distress last year, so now all they seem to care about is milking their (loyal I might add) customers

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.