You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ignore Text Wrap shortcut does nothing in Text Frame panel

I may be missing a step, but I have been trying for several betas to set this shortcut so that I can uncheck this setting in the Text Frame studio panel.  Working with long books and many illustrations, it is a step I always need to take, and generally remember it only when the first placed image remains plopped upon the text.  I  set a shortcut (which Preferences>Text accepts) and then when I open a new document and apply the shortcut, nothing happens.   Ignore Text Wrap remains checked.

I know this is a very, very, very small detail and in no way would be silly enough to suggest that this is a "deal breaker" or a "must have" or an  "or else"  before June 19.   Perhaps down the line there will be a way to make this work.  Meanwhile, v. 384 is freshly downloaded and raring to go!  Can't wait to download my pre-order of Publisher next week!

(Alfred:  MAC Sierra)

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

I am not sure which of what you get is what you want. Or your issue is so weird that I can't follow yet. Do I understand right that you can't get rid of the activated checkbox "Ignore Text Wrap" in the text frame studio panel? And as a workaround you want to un-check it via a shortcut key command?

If yes, there seems to be a kaput preference file in the afpub prefs folder on your mac (Alfred: MAC ;))
If not, could you explain it different from the beginning? (sounds a bit as if your post starts in the middle of something).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

which of what you get is what you want. Or your issue is so weird that I can't follow yet. Do I understand right that you can't get rid of the activated checkbox "Ignore Text Wrap" in the text frame studio panel? And as a workaround you want to un-check it via a shortcut key command?

"Which of what" is what I thought I had explained above.  If there is a shortcut setting available for Ignore Text Wrap  in Preferences>TEXT -- which there is -- then supposedly if one sets one it may work.  Publisher starts each NEW document with Ignore Text Wrap automatically checked in the Text Frame Panel.  I would like to be able to uncheck that with a shortcut, without having to go to the Text Frame Panel and uncheck it.      

(Alfred:  MAC Sierra) was a sorry attempt at humor, in case Alfred responded to this post, before I had a chance to add all of my computer details subsequently appearing below.  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

Publisher starts each NEW document with Ignore Text Wrap automatically checked in the Text Frame Panel.  

Ok, that's what I assumed. That kind of permanent default activated "Ignore Text Wrap" is not a normal default setting (and wouldn't be useful if it would). I don't have it either; I can activate it for specific frames but usually it's off by itself, specially for new documents. That is why I assume a corrupted preference file, individually on your MAC (and I was aware about that joke;))

Does the issue also occur if you start AfPublisher as another user on your mac?

If not, then the problem is in your user folder. You can either reset the AfPub prefs (and loose all settings) or you can try this first:

1. Close the AfPublisher app.
  2. Go to your user library folder: ...  ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher Beta
  3. Move this "Affinity Publisher Beta" Preference folder temporarily to the desktop.
  4. Go to your user library caches folder: ... ~/Library/Caches/com.seriflabs.affinitypublisher.beta
  5. Move this "com.seriflabs.affinitypublisher.beta" cache folder temporarily to the desktop.
  6. Start the AfPublisher app.

If the issue is gone you can try to understand the content of this folders and move their content partially back to restore your preferences (palettes, panel settings, etc.).
If you want to restore then start with this folder: ... ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher Beta/user

4 hours ago, thomaso said:

Glad to know that it should work.  I have been replacing one beta after the other since v. 40  last August.   Everything else has come through with flying colors.   My plan is now to wait until next week, when I download the release Publisher, independently from the betas.  With a fresh start, Preferences should not be corrupted.   After that if it still doesn’t work, I will try your method.  Although I must say that I suspect I could do more damage, by accident, than good.

"Ignore Text Wrap" seems to be savable as preset with an .afpub. I need to open a document to access it, otherwise it is grayed out. But I can set it without selecting an object. Therefore, I wonder if it solves your problem at least for existing documents, to un-check "Ignore text wrapping" with NO object selected.

3 hours ago, thomaso said:

"Ignore Text Wrap" seems to be savable as preset with an .afpub. I need to open a document to access it, otherwise it is grayed out. But I can set it without selecting an object. Therefore, I wonder if it solves your problem at least for existing documents, to un-check "Ignore text wrapping" with NO object selected.

That is a thought.   When I save a document with Ignore text wrap unchecked it opens the next time still unchecked.  When I open a new document  it starts with the setting unchecked but greyed out.  The moment I insert a text frame it becomes active and is checked.   I will try the preset route today.   Thank you!

Hi. Please ignore this suggestion if it is due to my shallow knowledge of AP. It may be that there is a more sophisticated way of dealing with this problem. I was formatting a number of documents with type and photos and had to keep re-setting each picture frame rectangle to the text wrap I wanted. This would have been a lot easier if the Text Wrap settings window was part of the 'Studio' tear-off menus, as the TW window is quite large and took up space on my laptop screen. It would also seem to be more logical (to me anyway) to have it as part of the 'Studio' set, along with 'Character' 'Paragraph' etc.

Edited by Jamso
Spelling mistake + clarification

18 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

Publisher starts each NEW document with Ignore Text Wrap automatically checked

and ...

19 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

When I open a new document  it starts with the setting unchecked

Do you mean File > "Open..." or File > "New"?

3 hours ago, thomaso said:

and ...

Do you mean File > "Open..." or File > "New"?

FILE>NEW.

Then it is not clear what you get: yesterday you wrote

"Publisher starts each NEW document with Ignore Text Wrap automatically checked "

but today

"When I open a new document  it starts with the setting unchecked"

2 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Then it is not clear what you get: yesterday you wrote

"Publisher starts each NEW document with Ignore Text Wrap automatically checked "

but today

"When I open a new document  it starts with the setting unchecked"

To repeat my previous entry.  When I save a document with Ignore text wrap unchecked it opens (FILE>Open Recent) the next time still unchecked.  When I open a new document (FILE>NEW)  it starts with the setting unchecked but greyed out.  The moment I insert a text frame it becomes active and is checked.  I don't know how to explain this any more clearly.

18 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Then it is not clear . . .

Found the solution and you provided it!   In another part of the Forums regarding using assets or setting a default frame color + width, you posted an explanation last Friday morning showing how to set Defaults.   

WELL!    I just did it with the Ignore Text Wrap issue and Eureka!!   Problem solved.  FILE>NEW is now slick as a whistle (for me).  Thank you.   One never knows what one can do unless one galumphs through the Forums!!:)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.