You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

.afdesign file opens in wrong color space

SOLVED – wrong setting in prefs and the notification flashes away before being seen. 

=-=-=

I had an open file (attached) that is in the 2020 color space, which I was working on on my iMac. 

I wanted to work on it on my MacBook Pro (2011) so I did a Save As to a USB stick, adding a RevA to the file name.

On the MBP I Opened that file from the USB stick, then checked the Document Setup, and the file was in DCI P3.

Checking my steps again, I dragged and dropped the original .afdesign file onto a different USB stick. I opened that one on the MBP and it too opened in DCI P3 space.

I then Opened the RevA file on the iMac, and it opened in 2020.  

Perhaps this is normal behavior, but I thought I would report it.

Thank you.

10Boxes4Colors-certain2020.afdesign

Are the two machines set to the same colour space and are they converting opened documents or set to Not convert documents?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks for the interesting question OBruce. The MBP is a pre-retina display, and I don't think it is in P3...certainly not DCI P3. 

But I put the computer in the 2020 colorspace – or the OSX approximation anyway – and then opened Designer, then stuck in the USB stick and opened it. It opened in the DCI P3 space again.

I did put a copy on iCloud and opened it on the iPad. It opened in 2020...

If I remember correctly, this possibly started in DCI P3 – it is being made for cinema projection tests – and I changed it to 2020. Modified the colors, etc. But I wasn't satisfied so I opened a new empty file in 2020 and copied the the elements to the new file...this file that is attached. I wonder if there is some trace of that left and that is what is making the MBP act this way. 

Did you download and open it? What was your experience? Any other thoughts?

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Are the two machines set to the same colour space and are they converting opened documents or set to Not convert documents?

Aha! your 2nd question is exactly on point. Totally forgot about those settings in prefs. ...and didn't see the warning because it flashes off when the mouse is moved. But that is a different error to be reported. Many thanks~!