You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Allow child layers to not have a layer color assigned

I started setting colors to layers in the layer panel, one was Green if the layer had a Gradient.  But I ran into a problem if the layer is a parent, it's then not possible to have the child layer to not have a color (indicating there is no special treatment on the layer).  The color can be changed but not deleted.  With this scheme I'd have to assign a color to mean "the child without a Gradient (special treatment) of a parent with a Gradient (special treatment)".  It would be very handy to have the option to delete a color for child layers.  Same for layers in a group or a Layer.

If I have a layer that is just a shape and a solid color I doubt I would want to color the layer as everything about the layer is obvious from the thumbnail and the layer type.  With a large drawing it would be hard to come up with a color for all the possibilities with only 7 colors, so obvious/simple layers would be best left without a color.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

The colour can be set to Transparent (white circle with red line through it), but then it inherits the colour of the parent. 

If you drag the child out of the parent then the colour disappears. Drag it back in and the parent's colour reappears. 

I suspect that this is by design, so that you can see which parent a child belongs to. But I can see that it isn't useful in your scenario. 

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

So far I have used the colours to add visual distinction to my layers when laying out board game cards.

A different colour for:  Icons, Action Text, Story Text, and Background imagery.

But still experimenting.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

My concept for using the layer colors was to indicate which layers had certain attributes added that didn't normally show in the layer panel but the current rules won't allow it.  Such as:

If there is a gradient, especially a stroke gradient applied to that layer.

If there is a second stroke or fill added by the Appearance panel on that layer.

I find that I get myself in trouble by trying to do a color change that destroys a gradient because I didn't remember the layer had one.  And it's even harder to identify a stroke gradient.  I currently find that I always select the fill tool before doing a color change to make any gradient on that layer obvious.  Also I find I try to change a color/luminosity which doesn't work because it's controlled by a secondary fill from the appearance panel.  I've convinced myself that it's easier to create a second layer instead of using the appearance panel, which is what we've always had to do in the past but it is visible from the layers panel.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra