You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP 1.7.0 Slow Raw Performance

Since installing AP 1.7  there has been a noticeable dip in performance when developing Raw files.

With previous versions the time to add basic Raw adjustments ie exposure, blackpoint, saturation etc was never longer than 4 to 5 seconds.

The average time ( taken from 7 files ) is now 1 minute and 20 seconds for the same basic adjustments.

Additionally, the time taken to finalise a selection from the refine option, ie to finish to new layer or new layer with mask has also considerably lengthened and often with the " Affinity has stopped working " dialogue appearing.

Using Windows 10 with most recent update.

Are these examples known bugs ?

The same situation in my case: very poor performance in developing - very, very slowly!!!

It is in the meantime a reason, why some photographers are looking back to PS in sorrow!

It was a point of discussing between photographers during the "6. Adventure & Photo Messe" last week in Duisburg!

• Staff

Personally I think it is worth the short wait for the reduced noise reduction, but that may depend on the quality of your sensor and the amount of noise it creates.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

6 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

The slower Develop is due to an improved Noise Reduction algorithm, if you disable that, you will notice it goes much faster.

Perhaps offer two denoise algorithms:

1) Fast and ordinary one (default)

2) Slow and perfect one (option)

The ones, who select 2) have time to wait. The ones who do not care (1)), have fast develop times. Same strategy works well in DxO PhotoLab with ordinary denoise and prime denoise.

Actually, reading this a second time, it seems like @elbingo's issue is adjustments within Develop persona, not the initial loading of the RAW.

This isn't something we've noticed here - is there any chance you could provide us with a video of your experience so we can investigate further? What spec PC are you running Photo on? How many files are you loading at once? Are you saying that each file used to take 5secs, and now it takes 80secs?

@Juergie, can you describe this "poor performance" a bit more?

Hi, the Raw files ( Sony ) load as per usual, it is the length of time to develop which has changed from around 4 to 5 seconds to the 80 seconds or so when I posted.

Single files being loaded.

Since posting, I have reset AP to base settings and the Raw files are now taking around 15 to 20 seconds to develop, noise reduction off, but the refine tool is sill taking much longer than previously.

The dialogue "Affinity is not responding" remains a frequent occurrence and there has been one full crash since my report.

System etc...…….

Windows 10

Intel R, Core TM.. i5-7400 CPU @ 3GHz  3GHz

RAM 8.00 GB, ( 7.89 available )

64 bit o/6,  x64 based processor

Thank you

Hi all, totally agree with elbingo. Loading raw files is a little slower, but developing is a disaster, more than a minute. Could it be something with the Sony raw files?

My spec
Sony raw files
Windows 10
RAM 8 GB
x64

I am currently mostly using Capture One Express for Sony raw file developing. It works well and is fast, but it is a bit tedious to work in two different programs, but this latest release of A P almost forces me to stay in Capture One for raw file handling.

9 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

could you provide a video of your experience?

As for me,I already did that a while  ago  .....

As for now, I've disabled Noise Reduction in Development assistant. And instead use the bilateral blur (if needed) in photo persona.
But I prefer to apply Noise Reduction in Develop Persona.

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

@Mark Ingram, here some more information:

My system:

Windows 10 Pro

Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3,3 GHz 

RAM 16.00 GB, ( 14.00 available )

64 bit, x64 based processor

NVidia GeForce GTX 750 TI

My camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark 4

Noise Reduction enabled: 64 sec.

Noise Reduction disabled: 53 sec (same Raw)

Thank You

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

I've just uploaded a beta which has got a fix for the slow develop speeds in 1.7.0, please feel free to give it a try, and let me know how you get on:

Yes, it works MUCH faster and the result is the same than in the beta before.
The speed of development depends on the image, on the color information, the size and more. I tested it with the same image and the same editing in Develop Persona in the new Beta and with the current Version  and the development time with the new beta is only about half as long as in the current Version.
Very good Job Guys.
Thumbs up :)

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

3 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

@elbingo / @prsdeb / @phil.hope / @Juergie / @Linslusen / @HVDB Photography 

I've just uploaded a beta which has got a fix for the slow develop speeds in 1.7.0, please feel free to give it a try, and let me know how you get on:

My thanks to everyone who has added to my original post and my apologies for not being able to keep up with the responses.

Thank you @Mark Ingram I have downloaded and installed the beta, which shows a clear improvement in development times both with and without the noise reduction enabled.

Appreciation too for a quick response and your commitment to seeking to resolve the issues reported, big thumbs up for Serif and AP.