You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello everyone, loving the new 1.7 update!!

I have a question about layer/object cropping within Designer you can select a layer/object and use the "Crop" tool you can crop the layer and not the whole canvas.

Are you able to do this within photo? since if you have a layer/object, select and use the crop tool you can only crop the whole canvas and not the single layer. (like in designer) If you can't do this would be cool to either have a secondary crop tool within the crop tool drop down menu (similar to the "node" tool) or when you use the crop tool have a sub menu on the tool bar to switch to layer mode.

Here is a video showing how it works in Designer compared to Photo)

Thank for your time,

Andrew.

c14a84770b0aac1bd123b13fbd7e3f16.png            Andrew Salfinger
Made by Campfire - Graphic Designer 

W: www.madebycampfire.com
E: hello@madebycampfire.com
T: https://twitter.com/madebycampfire

Your video is empty for me (duration is zero) but from what you said, the answer to your question is no, because the crop tool in Photo only works on the whole canvas.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

You should be able to "crop" a layer in Photo using a rectangular shape (or any shape) and Clipping or Masking

There was a good video for "Clipping vs Masking" which I can no longer find for you as inexplicably the normal links to the videos no longer work

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Hi SalfingerAndrew,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
To get the same result as in Designer, use the Rectangle Tool to draw a rectangle, then drag the rectangle layer over the image layer's thumbnail in the Layers panel (you should see a small vertical bar appearing on the right side of the thumbnail while you are hovering the thumbnail) to use the rectangle as a vector mask (which is the same Designer doesn't when using the Crop Tool there). Make sure the rectangle is filled (any colour) - only the filled areas act as a mask.

The video carl123 mentioned is here (Affinity Photo - Clipping vs Masking).

Updated video (Should work now) 

Yeah the Rectangle Tool method is the way I've been doing it so far. Would be cool to be able to have a sub crop tool (or a option in the contextual toolbar) to be able to crop layer only like in Affinity Designer. (or like in illustrator)

Thanks for the replies! and thank you MED for the video!

c14a84770b0aac1bd123b13fbd7e3f16.png            Andrew Salfinger
Made by Campfire - Graphic Designer 

W: www.madebycampfire.com
E: hello@madebycampfire.com
T: https://twitter.com/madebycampfire