You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fonts problems in 1.7.0.376

Hello,

I am using a medium italic Orkney font at the beginning of a section and regular Orkney for the rest. The document has existed from before the 1.7.0.376 update. Now, although it looks fine visually (some italic and the rest regular) Publisher claims they are both medium italic.

Furthermore, when I export to PDF, the regular comes out fine but the words that really are italic come out as gibberish. For example, the words "Front endsheet" come out as "Htqpv gpf uj ggv"! 

With another font, Lobster Two, an extra character appeared in the PDF. They used to print out fine.

Is this a bug or am I failing to do something?

Robin

• Staff

Hi Robin,

Is there any chance of you attaching the afpublisher file along with the fonts (assuming the license allows you to) so I can have a look into it?

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

The name fields in the Orkney fonts are a complete mess.
A lot of it is just blank.
This is probably causing APub (or any Windows application) to get confused.
When different fonts have the same name info it often corrupts the output.

Since the Orkney fonts are FOSS we can fix them.
I changed the family name to OrkneyX (for cross-platform) and fixed the name fields.
These are just the OTF-PS files which I assumed/guessed you are using.

OrkneyX.zip

Give those a try.
Because the family name is changed you can have both versions installed.

LibreTraining,

Thanks. I'll try those fonts tomorrow.

I've been working on this little book for two years and am now, finally, at the stage of printing it and binding it. I'm amazed by how many problems, even at this late stage, arise. The fonts problem was a couple of days ago. Today I had another (and new) problem (never happened before). In order to get the imposition done, I am exporting a PDF, splitting into separate files and putting it back into Publisher one signature to a file. Then printing as a booklet. So a single photo that covers both left and right hand pages, gets split (on export as pages) then put back together again, as the central sheet of a signature. The problem is that, when put back together, the left part of the photo does not line up with the right part. Oh dear! I must try to find another way of doing it.

But I'll let you know about the fonts.

Robin

Thanks for the interest.

I will get a pdf of the font and send it to you. (I should get that done later today.) The issue was a small difference in the look of the characters between Publisher and a pdf after export. A more dramatic font issue was with Orkney and that issue has gone away thanks to a corrected version of Orkney being sent to me. I'm so grateful.

The book is 100 pages, hence 25 sheets of paper. I have not solved the imposition problem yet though, via several workarounds, I think I am getting close. The following are the kinds of issues that I have been experiencing.

• I have photos that are printed over the entirety of, virtually, every spread. This implies that, given the imposition, most of these images are split, the left side being printed on one sheet of paper and the right side on another. Hence, front to back registration needs to be perfect but, I have discovered, nominal 11" x 17" paper may not be exactly that size. I have been playing around with both custom paper sizes and with stipulating a margin when printing, say, the odd sheets and changing this margin when printing the even sheets. I'm getting close but it's not quite right yet. Even a millimeter off and it shows when the signatures are bound into the book. (Even a millimeter of the wrong image appearing down the middle of another image stands out. Such a small error would never be noticed in a "normal" book with margins on each page.) Also my Canon Pro 100 driver allows me to stipulate paper size to 1/100 of a millimeter but only lets me set a margin to 1/10 inch.
  • Clearly, I want to use bleed, crop marks and registration marks. This has not proved easy. I can't use them successfully with the pdf editor I have and have recently downloaded the free version of Montax just to experiment. (The free version will not handle the paper size I need.) I get the feeling that Montax would enable me to do what I need but I have not yet managed to find out how. As with most software nowadays, the manual is, essentially, a description of features and NOT any instruction on how to do anything. That is, if I already know what steps I need to take but don't know which menu has the tools I need, then the manual will help. However, as a newbie, I don't yet know the steps.
  • At this time, my book is divided into three Publisher files; part 1, part 2, and the appendices. Part 1, when exported as a pdf covers 47 pages of the book. It would be very efficient if I could select a subset of these pages and have them printed as a booklet (i.e. a signature) without having to create a new file. This would make it much easier on me should I decide to change the signature size. At this time Publisher cannot print a subset of the pages as a booklet.

I'll get the pdf of Lobster Two as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Robin

Hello,

When I was about to get a PDF of the Lobster Two font, I noticed that the period (".") at the end of the sentence was (amazingly) from the Orkney font. (The Lobster Two font was used only in a title, well away from the main text which was in the Orkney. Anyway, when I changed it to the (correct) Lobster Two font, it worked fine.

Thanks for all your help.

I'm now finding that there is a little randomness in my Canon Pro 100 printer. It's about one millimeter in the difference of where it starts printing. This means, of course, that this is the lower limit of how accurately I can get the center of one side of the paper to the center of the other side.

Kind regards,

Robin

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.