Sign in to follow this  
Russ Johnson

A Twist on Keyboard Shortcuts

I understand that Custom Keyboard Shortcuts are coming to AD in a future release.  If you read my recent post in the Questions forum, you'll know how passionate I am about my hotkeys.

So I would like to propose that these custom keyboard shortcuts be export- and import-able, so that we can share them.

I know I'm certainly a tinker, and I'll happily play for hours getting a set of hotkeys just right if the mood strikes.  Certainly there must be other people out there who would love to have a custom set of hotkeys but can't/won't/don't-have-a-clue-how-to make all those changes themselves.  I'd be happy to share my work with them, especially because rising tides.

My 2¢.

—Russ

—Russ Jonson

Still and video design, logos, branding, and more 

RussDoes.com

It would be great if one could make AD read/write the keyboard shortcuts from/to an external file instead of just importing/exporting them. If you then place the file in your Dropbox (or similar cloud) directory it would not only be backed up from the main machine automagically, but also be available on another machine if the user has multiple installs (by just directing AD to the external file). I have been doing this with my 3d software (MODO) for a few years and it's really awesome (in AI the import/export process is horrible, because the pref files are stored in some really deep and obscure folder structures, at least on Win machines).

Since we’re talking about Macs, you can do this by setting up (I think it’s called) an hard link. You’ll need to learn some Unix to make this happen, but OS X’s underlying Unix kernel has the ability to make itself think a file is in two locations at once. So you could have the file in the export folder hard linked to the same file in your Dropbox, and both AD and Dropbox would treat it the way you want, no extra coding on Serif’s part required.

—Russ Jonson

Still and video design, logos, branding, and more 

RussDoes.com