You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Solved] Erasing pixels in Designer

Hi There.  I'm working on a bunch of little 20x20 px icons.  I'm zoomed way in and doing pixel-level work.  Basically "pixel art."   The Pixel Tool works beautifully for this, but the Eraser Brush Tool doesn't work so well.  It bleeds into neighboring pixels.  Also, even though I have Opacity, Flow, and Hardness at 100%, it still takes many passes to actually erase the pixel.  

Is there a better way to remove this specific pixels?  It would be good if I could set the Pixel Tool to color = "Transparency."  

You can try the selection brush (set to 1 pixel) or selection rect and when a pixel is selected just press the delete key.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

9 hours ago, steveKunkel said:

Is there a better way to remove this specific pixels?  It would be good if I could set the Pixel Tool to color = "Transparency."  

If I understand what you want to do correctly (& how this tool option works!) with the Pixel Tool selected, the last item on the context toolbar should be "Alternate:" with three choices. One of them is "Erase."  (If you don't see it, it could be because the workspace window is too narrow to show everything. In that case clicking on the icon will pop it up.)

The Alternate option is invoked by using a keyboard modifier key. On Macs it is the CMD (⌘) key; on Windows it is probably the Control key, but for either OS the Status bar at the bottom of the window will tell you which one it is.

So by setting this option to Erase, you should be able to erase pixels without having to switch to any other tool ... I think.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 minutes ago, steveKunkel said:

I did see the Alternate: Erase option, but I can't figure out how it works...  Doesn't seem to do anything.

The way it works for me on my Mac is holding down the CMD modifier key switches the Pixel Tool from painting to erasing -- it isn't a toggle, so the key has to be held down for this to work.

I don't know if you are a Mac or Windows user (it is always helpful to mention that) so the modifier key might be different for you.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yep, you were right.  I'm using Windows, and it's the Crtl key.  When the Pixel Tool is in use, holding the Ctrl key down makes the "Alternate" option work.  This solution is quite handy.  Kudos to Serif.  

Thanks again you guys.

EDIT:  Not sure if I can mark this "solved."  

17 minutes ago, steveKunkel said:

EDIT:  Not sure if I can mark this "solved."  

What some OP's do is edit the title of the topic, adding a "[Solved]" prefix or suffix to it.

Affinity Photo