You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pinch gesture not working (Severe issue)

Hey everyone!

Here is a recording I made with Affinity Designer 1.7 on iPad mini 5, iOS 12.2, visualizing touches set to true, showing the gestures fail a lot:
https://www.shushustorm.com/_Uploads/Serif/iOS/1_7/PinchNotWorking.mp4

This shows the input itself does in fact get recognized.
The gestures mostly fail when using thumb and index finger, but will mostly work when using index finger and middle finger. After some testing, I can say this is true for both Affinity products as well as for Procreate.
Since the visualization shows that the input is indeed recognized, could there be an issue with iOS rejecting input because of palm rejection issues?

Unfortunately, for me, persistently using index and middle finger is not an option. It's very inconventient.

Best wishes,
Shu

EDIT:

Also, I posted here about this as well: 

And again, the topics about this on the Procreate forums:
https://procreate.art/discussions/4/10/27407
https://procreate.art/discussions/4/10/28314

• Staff

Hi schuschustorm,
I've been able to reproduce this here (using a 12.9 Pro) and I have a feeling its related to how 'flat' your fingers lay when attempting the gesture. I predominately use my finger tips for gestures so haven't encountered this, however if I use the flat 'sides' of my fingers I was able to reproduce it. This also seems to match up with the videos added on the second Procreate forum post. 

I've done a recording showing my (stubby :P) fingers and can see it normally happens when my they're almost sideways. I was also able to get it in Procreate so does seem to suggest it is more of an iOS issue. However I'll pass it on to the development team to see what their thoughts are if there is anything that can be done to help!

• 1 month later...
On 6/25/2019 at 3:38 PM, Sean P said:

Hi schuschustorm,
I've been able to reproduce this here (using a 12.9 Pro) and I have a feeling its related to how 'flat' your fingers lay when attempting the gesture. I predominately use my finger tips for gestures so haven't encountered this, however if I use the flat 'sides' of my fingers I was able to reproduce it. This also seems to match up with the videos added on the second Procreate forum post. 

I've done a recording showing my (stubby :P) fingers and can see it normally happens when my they're almost sideways. I was also able to get it in Procreate so does seem to suggest it is more of an iOS issue. However I'll pass it on to the development team to see what their thoughts are if there is anything that can be done to help!

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately, I cannot confirm that the touch "flatness" is responsible for this happening when I am working, since I am mostly using the sides of the tips of my fingers (rather pointy as well, just like the finger tips themselves).
I will try to see if flatness makes things even worse, though. Maybe this will be an indicator.
I do think this is an issue on the iOS side, however, one that you should be able to have at least some influence on. For example, I am getting this issue more frequently using Affinity software than when using Procreate in a similar manner (when I had done just some adjustments that didn't require zooming and rotating the canvas, I didn't face this problem using Affinity software, of course) and the issue showed up more frequently in Procreate before one of the patches some time ago. Still, it's far from solved there as well. Maybe you are both using API calls that either do some palm rejection under the hood or some API calls are simply corrupted since about 12.1 (this is where it started happening)? Maybe it's useful if Serif and Savage talk about their gesture implementations, since this is very similar, if not exactly the same issue?
Also, note that this happened from one day to another, after I updated both iOS and Procreate. So I have been using iOS software for a few years and gestures have been very stable. Until 12.1. Of course, the fact that touch visualization shows the touches, yet it doesn't work, is a strong argument for incorrect (iOS) input interpretation rather than iOS not getting input at all.