SRL

Stock photos from Unsplash causes Affinity Photo to crash

Every time I attempt to search for a stock photo from within Affinity Photo 1.7 with 'Unsplash, Affinity crashes. I can search the other 2 sites (Pixabay & Pixels) without any problem but not Unsplash. Any suggestions on how to fix this. I am using a Mac with the latest operating system.

I have AVG antivirus on my system but have tried it with this turned off but still no difference. Affinity photo immediately closes when a search is made with Unsplash.

I have uninstalled Affinity & reinstalled it from the App Store but the problem still occurs.

I can get to Unsplash through my Safari web browser without any problem.

Cheers MEB, much appreciated.

By the way, I also have the lag that many others are complaining about when you develop a RAW file, taking in excess of 35 seconds to convert the file.

Posted (edited)

Sorry, can't send RAW file at the moment, but just need to mention I had to untick 'metal' due to poor performance with it on (inpainting brush tool etc). With metal ticked Raw files develop quickly so it's either one or the other.

Edited by SRL

Hi Meb,

Yes, Affinity beta still shuts down immediately after attempting to search Unsplash.

Crash report attached as requested.

Another bug is that with Metal selected in Preferences, the clipped highlight warning colour is like a checkerboard rather than the normal red colour. This doesn't happen with Metal unchecked when it is the normal red colour.

Crash-88244a.txt

On 6/11/2019 at 7:06 AM, MEB said:

Hi SRL,
I don't know why it's crashing for you but there's already another user reporting similar issues with Unsplash here (although no crash for him). Do you mind attaching the crash report please - maybe we can get some useful info from it.Thank you.

For what it is worth, Unsplash is working perfectly here.

21.5 iMAC Retina 4K display. MacOS Sierra v. 10.12.6 (which I am not changing).  3.1 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6 GHz.  Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz LPDDR3.  1TB Fusion Drive.  Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB.   iPad Pro 12.9, iOS v. 12.3.1, Apple Pencil.  Affinity Publisher 1.7.2,  Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.   

Magic mouse.9_9

FYI, macOS Mojave, Unsplash working, without problems.  

Cecil - North Carolina

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5.

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Hi SRL,
Thanks for checking in Affinity Photo Customer Beta 1.7.1.140 and for the additional crash reports. I've passed them to the dev team for inspection again. I'm sorry for the incovenience this is causing you.

We are also aware of the issue with clipped highlights being rendered as transparent. This is being looked into as well. Thanks for your support.

Sorry MEB   I applied the beta patch and to no avail, still doing exactly the same 

MacBookPro 15-inch mid 2010 intel core I7,  NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5.

@SRL

I have turned your crash reports into attachments as the posting of them into the forum thread makes for a very long scroll bar (and crashed my Andriod Chrome browser!) . Going forward , can you please attach any crashes as attachments thank you your help is appreciated.

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform 

Further to my previous crash reports, I have now found that if I type in random letters into the Unsplash search bar Affinity Photo doesn't crash, but as soon as I use a proper word (ie dogs) then it crashes immediatly. I believe another forum member also has had the same problem. I hope this helps in finding the solution.

On 6/28/2019 at 6:30 PM, SRL said:

Further to my previous crash reports, I have now found that if I type in random letters into the Unsplash search bar Affinity Photo doesn't crash, but as soon as I use a proper word (ie dogs) then it crashes immediatly. I believe another forum member also has had the same problem. I hope this helps in finding the solution.

It sounds like the crash only happens when the panel is trying to display results. Typing in random characters wouldn't display any results so this might be a clue for dev :35_thinking: