You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD: All my settings lost automatically, 4 days after updated

All my settings have been lost automatically, four days after I updated to version 1.7.0.

Brushes,assets ( so many !), Styles, colour palettes, symbols ...  I can't believe it !

1º I updated Affinity Photo and Designer from version 1.6.  to 1.7.0 through Appel store on Thursday 6th of June

2º I have been working with affinity designer these last days, since the update, without problems, except for one error that I reported in the section Designer bug found on MacOs, with the title of: "Rectangle made by rectangle tool has become a layer text after update" today Monday 10th (9 hours ago)

3º As you can read in the chat of that entry, I realize that pressing right click on any file of affinity designer or photo, allows me the option to open that file in the old version and in the new version. I didn't realize it before because I use left click to open my files .

4º A couple of hours later, today in evening, I return to work, and when I open a file I realize that all my settings have disappeared and the option to open the files with the previous version has also disappeared.

what happened and how can I recover all my settings !!!

Mac Mini 2018/iPad Pro 12.9/Wacom Intuos Pro M

macOS Catalina 10.15.4  + Affinity Designer 1.8.3 / Affinity Photo 1.8.3/ Affinity Publisher 1.8.3

iOS 13.4.1 + Affinity Designer 1.8.3 / Affinity Photo 1.8.3

by the way, in Affinity photo, where i only had personalized styles and big amount of brushes, those have been preserved and the styles have been lost.

macOS Catalina 10.15.4  + Affinity Designer 1.8.3 / Affinity Photo 1.8.3/ Affinity Publisher 1.8.3

On 6/10/2019 at 10:09 PM, Miquel said:

4º A couple of hours later, today in evening, I return to work, and when I open a file I realize that all my settings have disappeared and the option to open the files with the previous version has also disappeared.

I have already found out how to restore my assets, brushes and other lost settings, from a  backup copy of which I was able to extract the files (assets.propcol ...), and replace them in the new version. What I do not understand is why it has appear again the double option of being able to open any file of Affinity photo or Designer ( as shown in screen capture)

I do not understand either why i haven´t had a  normal transition from one version to another, when I just have followed the usual protocol of accepting the updates proposed by the Appel store.

Captura de pantalla 2019-06-15 a las 20.22.00.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Miquel

Glad to hear you've been able to recover your settings.

The only reason I can think of that would cause you to see the different versions if you have another copy of the application stored elsewhere on your Mac. The Mac App Store would have updated one of those and left the other in place, giving you both. It could well be your backup that it is finding this second copy.

If you use Spotlight Search to search for 'Affinity' you should be able to see the locations of where the apps are kept.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2019 at 11:47 AM, Sean P said:

Hi Miquel

Glad to hear you've been able to recover your settings.

The only reason I can think of that would cause you to see the different versions if you have another copy of the application stored elsewhere on your Mac. The Mac App Store would have updated one of those and left the other in place, giving you both. It could well be your backup that it is finding this second copy.

If you use Spotlight Search to search for 'Affinity' you should be able to see the locations of where the apps are kept.

Hy Sean,

I was waiting for your answer for days, but finally I understood that you were very busy fixing all the problems of the new APub launch and APh & AD updates, and I stopped reviewing this thread.
Well, the problem of duplication of AD & APh options was solved alone (or rather, I guess Apple fixed it), I did not do anything but anyway I do not have any copy of the Affinity programs.
Now the double option is no longer available.

Finally, everything is working very well and I have only lost some brushes of the category "image", I miss especially a "chain" brush, I used a lot. I think they came with the program.

Thanks !

Captura de pantalla 2019-07-11 a las 19.47.15.png