You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resource Manager Disadvantages

OK - here's a list of suggestions for the Resource Manager window:

1. Don't make the Resource Manager window disappear when another program on the Mac is highlighted (currently it disappears, but the Document stays put). Keep it present and visible on the Desktop. Currently, the list of items cannot be seen if you are trying to manually transfer (type) their names in, say, an external Text program.

2. Make it possible to do a "Find" on Resource Manager item names and or their source file paths. I have over 800 items in one list and it's hard to find partial text in their names if you are looking for a specific keyword. This has bit me on the bum many times.

3. Allow the Resource Manager list to be exported to a text file/spreadsheet/comma separated, whatever - including the item name and it's file path and other metadata about each item if available. If this is available, then #1 suggestion above becomes a moot suggestion for me. This would be particular valuable since I'm trying to make an external list that I can verify with the source of the items to a) see what's in my source file folder that isn't being used by Publisher, and b) to see what IS being used by Publisher, and c) to check if there may be a better source item for the document.

1. For the resource manager to float on a layer above other windows (such as the normal document windows) if left visible when other apps were in use it would be on top of them as well, making Publisher a bad citizen by interfering with access to the windows of other applications.
  2. Yes, this would be a great addition.
  3. This is much less of a problem than #1.  Not quite as obvious as #2, but still a good idea.

On 6/10/2019 at 12:37 PM, thetasig said:

1. Don't make the Resource Manager window disappear when another program on the Mac is highlighted (currently it disappears, but the Document stays put). Keep it present and visible on the Desktop. Currently, the list of items cannot be seen if you are trying to manually transfer (type) their names in, say, an external Text program.

I agree with this. Last night I was trying to clear out a folder of unused graphics. I needed to compare what was in the folder to what was actually in use via the Resource Manager. I had to constantly switch back and forth between Finder and Publisher. If the Resource Manager window doesn't hide then I can just leave it in the background.

To answer fde101's reply, "if  left visible when other apps were in use it would be on top of them as well" - this is not what the OP meant. Just make the window not disappear when the app is not in the foreground, just like the rest of the app window.