Subclavius

[By Design] Black+White conversion

AP 1.7.0.367/Windows 10 64 bit

I think this is a bug but am not 100% sure - feel free to close if it's by design.

It seems that a black and white conversion within in a group only has a local effect on pixel layers within that group. Have included 3 pics: a b+w conversion outside the group (works ok), b+w conversion within the group (no effect), and b+w combined with a local pixel layer (non-transparent) within the group (works ok).

This may look like an odd thing to do but it arose as I was trying out 2 different b+w conversion options on the same pic. It seemed to make sense to use 2 groups rather make multiple copies of the original image.  Any comments?

By the way, thank you for all your hard work on releasing version 1.7.

Nigel

b+w - straight.jpg

b+w - failed in group context.jpg

b+w - with local pixel layer.jpg

Check the Affinity Photo Help for Grouping. Here's a link to the relevant online version, and here's a quote, with the important part highlighted:

Layers can be grouped together for easier management and for restricting adjustments or masks to particular layers within your project.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.2.620 and 1.8.3.641 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.2.620 and 1.8.3.641 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.2.620 and 1.8.3.627 Beta.

Hello Walt,

Thank you but I feel this misses the point. Yes, groups restrict the operation of layers to within that group so that only that group is affected.  My point is that the b+w conversion layer fails to operate at all because it cannot 'see' the underlying background pixel layer without the presence of an unnecessary local pixel layer within the group.

Nigel

Hi both,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

This is by design. 

Adjustment layers inside a group only apply to the layers inside that group. The only exception is if the adjustment layers are on their own, with no pixel/shape layers inside the group. 

Thanks,

Gabe.