You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is updating software really worth it?

I remember a wise old sage, many years ago, giving me one good piece of advice. "never update your software as soon as it becomes available, let others do it first, watch as the proverbial hits the fans, wait for the bugs to be ironed out and it settles down....then and only then DO IT!!" Pity I didn't heed his advice or I wouldn't be without Photo at this present time. Can't wait for the next build to be ready..

Sounds a little bit like "...never touch a running system", but honestly if it maybe boosts your productivity, or offer things you previously were not able to do that easily and doesn't introduce new hindering bugs. - However it's always good to keep a backup copy before updating for the case of falls.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

What I do is keep the former setup.exe files just in case.

Upgrading when a new version becomes available has its advantages and also disadvantages. The big advantage is that you master the newly integrated features before those users who decide to wait. The disadvantage is that you also receive the beatings and stings by possible bugs. But once you found a workaround or those bugs are fixed, you are ahead again to the waiting people.

By the way, I did not regret my update to the 1.7 versions of Affinity.

Chris

I updated to 1.7 as well, against my better judgement, but I did so because I was running the 1.7 beta for months and had no problems and I liked it much better than 1.6. That being said, I'm getting a weird export bug that I have already reported and the good people at affinity are working on it. I upgraded right in the middle of my production work which was risky but everything is working despite the bugs and I'm happy. I love the new free stock photo tab. Not sure if it was in 1.6, if it was I completely missed it.

Also, 1.7  beta ran slow on my computer which I was worried about, but the official release runs a lot faster.

I also updated my designer. Funny, I have illustrator, just never used it, I hated it actually. Now I use designer every day, can't live without it.

Brett

Late Model  2012 iMac 27inch  - 3.4 GHZ Core i7 - 32 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForces GTX 2GB - macOS High Sierra