You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Updated Designer on Mac just horrifically slow...

Opening documents which before ran perfectly smoothly, now moving a simple vector shape is enough to trigger either a 5 second processing pause, or sometimes a beach ball. At present it is totally unusable, even on very small uncomplicated documents. Can anyone possibly help? Is there a bug fix update on the way? I trained and now work full time with Affinity products and when they stop working, so do I.

A lot of us are having similar problems with 1.7 by the look of it - hopefully they'll sort it soon so we can get back to 1.6 fast and fluid performance with the added features so we can get some work done?

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Buuf, I'm in the same boat. Impossible to work on Affinity Designer, and I have to finish a commission today (and I don't want to came back to illustration, I love Affinity). All goes really slow, the adjustment and guides don't work properly, and to move a simple element to the place I want takes years. I would like to come back to the old version, is that possible?

• Staff
17 hours ago, IncognitoMode said:

Opening documents which before ran perfectly smoothly, now moving a simple vector shape is enough to trigger either a 5 second processing pause, or sometimes a beach ball. At present it is totally unusable, even on very small uncomplicated documents. Can anyone possibly help? Is there a bug fix update on the way? I trained and now work full time with Affinity products and when they stop working, so do I.

Hi incognitomode,

I'm sorry to hear the app has been performing poorly since the latest update. If possible could you go into the apps preferences and send me a screenshot of the entire Performance tab?

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

You can usually speed it up a little and experience less beachball if you switch snapping off - which is something that appeared after the Beta 1.7.0.7 - it was beta 1.7.0.8 that I notice the massive slowdowns and screen lag and periods of the app hanging for around 5 mins

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• Staff
20 hours ago, IncognitoMode said:

If you can send us a file that shows the problem then we will be able to fix it. We need the file in 1.6 format so we can compare. If you have something that takes 5 seconds to move an object then that would be ideal. 

6 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

You can usually speed it up a little and experience less beachball if you switch snapping off - which is something that appeared after the Beta 1.7.0.7 - it was beta 1.7.0.8 that I notice the massive slowdowns and screen lag and periods of the app hanging for around 5 mins

Tried turning off snapping and it works pretty well so that is the work around for now. Still would be great if this were fixed soonish. Snapping is an important feature. Thanks all for your help and input so far!