You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer - Performance Issue - working with bigger vectorgraphics

Hello there,

I am searching for a solution for the performance issue  when I'm working with bigger vectorgraphics.
My System is stable and doesn't provide any bottlenecks.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor, 3394 MHz
RAM: 16GB DDR4
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series  (4095 MB)

This is while working with really large vectorfiles:

image.png.a57dde3b615ecc0e39e1962fd372e5ad.png

Affinity (big vector) just opened.

image.png.5b09a74c17e15b4e86a03e44373bf11c.png

...while zooming in and out very fast.

My Problem is now, that I don't know how to merge those files - they are so detailed like I never would need them.
But I want them to stay vectorfiles to change their size afterwards like I need them.

image.thumb.png.01ed6a9ee68f6d7ba8f6691eaa0ded8a.png

While working with such files, the performance is very bad, I can't copy and paste anything on realtime, or change anything without big lags (adding a new line of words - 15-30 sec).
Does anybody know, how I can change those files, lower the details without changing vector to pixelgraphic?

What I have tried:

1. Saving them to compressed .svg => not the best idea (poor details)
2. Merging them with boolean operators (this changes pixels to the same color) => useless

Thanks mates. Have a great day!

Best regards
Chris

AD_forum_post.png

Edited by VUTURE

• Staff

Hi VUTURE,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Disable all live adjustments and/or filters (in case you added any from Affinity Photo) that you are using (at least one is visible in your screenshot nested to a group) and enable them only when you want to export the file. Group vector objects that belong to the same subject/element and disable/hide the groups you are not working with at the moment. The less things Affinity has to draw on screen the better. Go to Affinity Designer Preferences, Performance section and set the View Quality dropdown to Nearest Neighbour (Fastest). Even so I doubt this will be enough for such a complex vector work. Seems you have vectorised/auto-traced a pencil drawing. Do you mind providing the file for us to take look please? I can provide an upload link if you wish to keep it private.

Hi and thank you for the fast and well done answer, MEB!

I followed every of your steps, it helps a little, but the performance is still really poor - without the usual "workflow".

image.thumb.png.3ad0774bc82ed013b93188ddf8c44fff.png

Do you know how I can change the files and lower the needed performance? - lower details or merging the files like that with boolean operators? image.png.d3f89d0616c6acaf4667d336824b27c9.png

(boolean operators don't work in this case, because all parts get the same color)

image.png.6b1c48c5e7f4ce48fbb4f0b5a67c6f28.png

Edited by VUTURE

• Staff

As you noticed boolean operations will not work for this since the resulting object must share the same fill/stroke attributes. I'm afraid there isn't much else I can suggest without checking the file myself and eventually pass it to the dev team to see how/what can be done in such cases.

I also find 1.7 very sluggish with large files compared to 1.6 which is really nippy in comparison

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Thanks @MEB,

I uploaded the file with the name "tricky.afdesign".
Maybe you know any further. Thank you for your commitment.

@Dazmondo77 I don't feel any hard difference between the versions, but maybe it was a lil bit faster in the earlier days :)
But also in the versions before I had the same struggles as now.

Best regards

Chris

Edited by VUTURE

I made videos detailing the speed difference  same file in 1.6 and 1.7 beta :

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk