You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What is affinity publisher? I’m confused!

Just trying to figure out what is it exactly used for! I know about designer and photo but I never used indesign from adobe so I don’t know what affinity publisher is about and what exactly you can do with it. My guess it is like dream weaver where you build websites with. Any information clearly breaking down this program is much appreciated.

1 minute ago, oO5Dynasty said:

My guess it is like dream weaver where you build websites with

NO!

Right now it is geared towards print publications, books, magazines, newspapers, your basic long documents (dozens to hundreds of pages long) which would be difficult to manage in Designer.

The only thing web related is that it can export as a PDF or JPEG, PNG, GIF.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

10 minutes ago, oO5Dynasty said:

Just trying to figure out what is it exactly used for! I know about designer and photo but I never used indesign from adobe so I don’t know what affinity publisher is about and what exactly you can do with it. My guess it is like dream weaver where you build websites with. Any information clearly breaking down this program is much appreciated.

Let's say you want to create a movie poster, you'll affinity photo to create 1 page and put some images and text on it and export for print.

Let's say you need to create a logo, you use affinity designer to create 1 document and draw the logo there, then you export to png.

Now let's say you want to create a book of 100 pages, you can't just create 100 different documents in photo or designer and copy paste small pieces of text to each one, and what if you change the font size, you need to re-arrange documents again and again. So for these tasks that need Multiple-pages documents, you need desktop publishing/layout software like Affinity publisher or InDesign. They are not designed to create photos or vector art, but to gather and re-arrange them through a lot of pages. They have special automated features like moving text from one page to another, automated page numbering...

Some case scenarios for using a desktop publishing app are books, magazines, reports... You notice they're all composed of a lot of pages.

11 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

NO!

Right now it is geared towards print publications, books, magazines, newspapers, your basic long documents (dozens to hundreds of pages long) which would be difficult to manage in Designer.

The only thing web related is that it can export as a PDF or JPEG, PNG, GIF.

ty for that information! Currently have no use for this program, but I might still get it just Incase things change in the future. We’ll see but thank you for the info!

44 minutes ago, toutou123 said:

Let's say you want to create a movie poster, you'll affinity photo to create 1 page and put some images and text on it and export for print.

Let's say you need to create a logo, you use affinity designer to create 1 document and draw the logo there, then you export to png.

Now let's say you want to create a book of 100 pages, you can't just create 100 different documents in photo or designer and copy paste small pieces of text to each one, and what if you change the font size, you need to re-arrange documents again and again. So for these tasks that need Multiple-pages documents, you need desktop publishing/layout software like Affinity publisher or InDesign. They are not designed to create photos or vector art, but to gather and re-arrange them through a lot of pages. They have special automated features like moving text from one page to another, automated page numbering...

Some case scenarios for using a desktop publishing app are books, magazines, reports... You notice they're all composed of a lot of pages.

Agree to everything, other than I'd use Publisher for anything that will be printed, even a single page. I'd use Photo to create imagery to be imported, and Designer if I need to make illustrations. But I think Publisher should replace almost every "print" material that we used to do in Designer. 

If your print document contains 1 page, I see sending images and vectors to publisher adds one more unecessary step. And if you'll need to edit the graphics again, you'll need to do more unecessary roundtrips.

Another thing to know is that photo, designer, and publisher use the same core code with extra functionalty in each one. For example, the basic typing tools are the same, but you can put text on a path in designer, and flow through multilpe frames in publisher, if you don't need any of those features, photo will produce the same results.

40 minutes ago, coso said:

Agree to everything, other than I'd use Publisher for anything that will be printed, even a single page. I'd use Photo to create imagery to be imported, and Designer if I need to make illustrations. But I think Publisher should replace almost every "print" material that we used to do in Designer. 

Dam that is sweet, now you make me want to buy it even more. I do create movie posters and album covers etc. would be great to use publisher to rearrange etc on the fly. Plus what if I wanted to do a book. So yeah thank you for the breakdown.

Is a desktop publishing and typesetting software.- It can be used to create works such as posters, flyers, brochures, magazines, newspapers, presentations, books and in future possibly ebooks.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

4 hours ago, toutou123 said:

If your print document contains 1 page, I see sending images and vectors to publisher adds one more unecessary step. And if you'll need to edit the graphics again, you'll need to do more unecessary roundtrips.

Another thing to know is that photo, designer, and publisher use the same core code with extra functionalty in each one. For example, the basic typing tools are the same, but you can put text on a path in designer, and flow through multilpe frames in publisher, if you don't need any of those features, photo will produce the same results.

Even for one page, Publisher has features like text wrap, inline images, and baseline grid that may help. And how onerous that unnecessary step is will depend on how well the integration between Publisher and the other apps works out.