You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Validating the beta

This is puzzling to me.

I updated the beta from the App Store and now it is asking me to validate it using either my email address or a SN. Since I bought it from the App Store I entered my current email address but the dialog box does nothing. When I press the Validate button it tells me that the information is invalid, presumably because there is no SN. How can I get it to accept my email address?

20 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

You can’t „update the beta from the AppStore“, because a „beta“ isn’t available in the AppStore. You have to update version 1.6 via AppStore, if you have bought it in the AppStore.

Yes. I realized that after I posted.My mistake. I updated the regular AP from the App Store and updated the beta from the link sent to me via email.

The fact remains that I can not use the beta because it asks me to validate it using my email, but when I enter the email there is no button to press to validate using that email. The Validate button seems to validate the serial number and, having bought in the App Store, I do not have one of those.

• Staff

The Customer betas check to see if you are a Customer. To do this,....

(1) First it looks for proof of being a MAS customers, so it looks at the Mac App Store release build to see if it's one it "knows about" (the betas currently do not recognise the new MAS release ones as they were made after the beta).

(2) Secondly the beta looks for proof of being an Affinity Store customers (looking for an installed version using a product key written away)

(3) Finally having found neither it prompts for a product key. This is so Affinity Store owners can test betas on new machines by simply typing in the key, without having to install the release software first.

This prompt for a key happens to MAS owners because of the new MAS version not being recognised, and falling through to case (3). I think that if the MAS file is found (but is not recognosed as valid) that the text on that dialog in step 3 should be different sayiong that the MAS version is later than the beta.

Once there is a 1.7.1.x beta the 1.7.0 MAS release will be recognised in step 1 and the new beta will go back to not prompting for a product key

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

5 hours ago, mac_heibu said:

There is no actual beta! The shipped version is newer than the (old) beta. Just wait, until a new beta is released and all will be fine! :)

There is a significant difference between how the regular release works with my Topaz Studio plugin and how the Beta works with it. The Beta version, at least the last one, allows me to call Topaz Studio and then call the Topaz plugins. The regular release (1.7) does not. I do not know why there is such a basic difference between how the two operate, but I use the Beta rather than the regular release because of that.

5 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

The Customer betas check to see if you are a Customer. To do this,....

(1) First it looks for proof of being a MAS customers, so it looks at the Mac App Store release build to see if it's one it "knows about" (the betas currently do not recognise the new MAS release ones as they were made after the beta).

(2) Secondly the beta looks for proof of being an Affinity Store customers (looking for an installed version using a product key written away)

(3) Finally having found neither it prompts for a product key. This is so Affinity Store owners can test betas on new machines by simply typing in the key, without having to install the release software first.

This prompt for a key happens to MAS owners because of the new MAS version not being recognised, and falling through to case (3). I think that if the MAS file is found (but is not recognosed as valid) that the text on that dialog in step 3 should be different sayiong that the MAS version is later than the beta.

Once there is a 1.7.1.x beta the 1.7.0 MAS release will be recognised in step 1 and the new beta will go back to not prompting for a product key

Interesting to know, and it does explain why this is happening, but it does not fix my problem. I would have thought that the developers would have considered this condition when releasing the Beta.

1 hour ago, MikeFromMesa said:

I would have thought that the developers would have considered this condition when releasing the Beta.

This is hardly the first beta they have released and no different from the way that the past betas have behaved.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.