davemike

[By Design] AP 1.7 - Resize document does not work properly

Hi Andy,

If the designer knows what spatial size he needs the image to be, then the APPLICATION should calculate and present the best resolution for that size,
the designer can then decide if he wants to regulate resolution for size accuracy or vice-versa. All this should/can be done in one window at the same time.

I have used AP from day one but always found the fundamental approach to "Resize Document" to be wrong.
BTW, I have been a graphic designer/computer artist for many years, (and some of my best friends are programmers).

David

I agree Dave. Ive created a post about it below. If its by design then its completely idiotic. Why have a toggle button if the results are going to be the same?

The "Resize Document" procedure has been intentionally designed this way, and it is not considered to be a bug. Unfortunately there is is a huge misconception and misunderstanding on the behalf of the Affinity Photo team, regarding necessary functions required by photo editors and designers. We need to be able to change size versus resolution, while we make the decisions of what we aim for, but the application should make the calculations, Photoshop "Resize Document" has had it right for many years, I think that Affinity should have realized this and tried to produce similar results, it was clear from the 1st A.P. that they got it wrong, and now they are continuing to develop the app based on the same mistake. (the crop tool also suffers in part from the same fundamental flaw). Affinity must re-think the approach based on functionality, flexibility, accuracy, user-friendliness. Is this the best place for our request, or should it be in "future requests"?

So, there are no bugs in any app because everthing is "by design"? Why are we wasting our time here?

Best regards,

Petar Petrenko
Typesetter, Graphic Designer, Photographer
Skopje, Makedonija

Windows 10 x64 Pro
Dell Inspiron 7559 i7
Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M )
16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)
1TB HDD + 128 GB SSD Hard drive
UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED- Backlit Touch Display
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

Patrick, by closing this topic as "by design" you are doing a great disservice to Affinity.  I run a business and if my team had numerous complaints from customers I'd want them to elevate it until the issue was fixed. 

There are literally hundreds of posts here from confused and frustrated customers, many of whom are very respected in the design/photography arena.  It is arrogant of Affinity to think their design nailed it and thus customers need to shut up and get on with life. 

The resize interface and workflow is non-intuitive, to put in kindly.  It needs to be rethought.  It is one of only a handful of functions in AP/AD where I feel like I have to start anew each time I use it, however, it is one I use nearly daily and thus my (and so many others') frustration.

On 6/18/2019 at 5:22 PM, SenorTJ said:

Patrick, by closing this topic as "by design" you are doing a great disservice to Affinity.  I run a business and if my team had numerous complaints from customers I'd want them to elevate it until the issue was fixed. 

There are literally hundreds of posts here from confused and frustrated customers, many of whom are very respected in the design/photography arena.  It is arrogant of Affinity to think their design nailed it and thus customers need to shut up and get on with life. 

The resize interface and workflow is non-intuitive, to put in kindly.  It needs to be rethought.  It is one of only a handful of functions in AP/AD where I feel like I have to start anew each time I use it, however, it is one I use nearly daily and thus my (and so many others') frustration.

A spectacular post my friend!

On 6/18/2019 at 6:22 PM, SenorTJ said:

The resize interface and workflow is non-intuitive, to put in kindly.  It needs to be rethought.

Just simply copy the PS Image size window.

Best regards,

Petar Petrenko
Typesetter, Graphic Designer, Photographer
Skopje, Makedonija

Windows 10 x64 Pro
Dell Inspiron 7559 i7
Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M )
16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)
1TB HDD + 128 GB SSD Hard drive
UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED- Backlit Touch Display
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

The Affinity team must be made to realize that the fundamental issue here is not the bug, even if it worked according to design, the whole concept of the resize function is bad, absolutely unusable for graphic professionals, publishers, advertising agencies. None of us can use it, but we need to, many times a day. This means that thousands of professionals cannot move over from Adobe to the Affinity trio. This message must find it's way to the decision-makers at Affinity, (somehow).