You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Possible issues (split)

Preordered. Thankyou!

I have a possible issue I need to report:

I had a Designer document with 112 artboards that I needed to resize. in bulk. I thought, "that's a job for Publisher", so I opened the file in Publisher — it was a very recent (but previous) version of the beta. Publisher asked me if I wanted to convert artboards to pages and so I did. All went well.

My file was already very large, at between 6–8Gb. (I've got some large embeds but made sure to use Symbols wherever possible). After working with it in Publisher, the file size rose to 11.5Gb.

Then the beta version came along that included a manager for linked and embedded documents. I thought I could save some Gb by replacing embedded files with linked files. Despite this, the file size didn't change much. I saved perhaps under 1 Gb.

After linking most of my embeds, there were a few that kept asking to be re-found. Even today I always get two images that ask to be re-linked, even though they have not been moved or modified.

Over the course of the next few weeks of continuing to work on the document, now in Publisher, the file size ballooned to 16Gb. I assume that there is some redundant data in my file, erroneously added by the link/embed situation.

Questions:

1. Will there be a way for me to slim down my file in a future version of Publisher? I need to share it with another designer.

2. Now that it's a Publisher file Is there a way to open it in Designer/Photo and be able to work on all the pages? Currently it only shows the page I was last on and I have no idea how to navigate to the others.

3. How can I stop these two files from always asking to be relinked?

Many thanks!

Screenshot 2019-06-10 at 11.39.13.png

Screenshot 2019-06-10 at 11.38.40.png

Edited by robrecord
Corrected some Gigabytes

2 hours ago, robrecord said:

in Publisher, the file size ballooned to 16Gb. I assume that there is some redundant data in my file, erroneously added by the link/embed situation. 

To potentially get rid of garbage you can save your .afpub under a different name. The success depends on the document, its content and its history. For instance my current .afpub just reduced from 30 to 25 MB – whereas others report no or minimal success. Worth a try at least.

I can't answer your 3 questions but as far I remember there are already quite a few threads about .afpub file size with .afdesigner or .afphoto links after the v331 + v337 update which brought the truly linked resources.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On 6/10/2019 at 6:42 AM, robrecord said:

Then the beta version came along that included a manager for linked and embedded documents. I thought I could save some Gb by replacing embedded files with linked files. Despite this, the file size didn't change much. I saved perhaps under 1 Gb.

The linked files are other Affinity documents.  These are considered "documents" rather than "images" and Publisher currently embeds documents even if you requested them to be linked.  If you were to export the images as image files (png, tiff, etc.) and link to those instead then it would actually be linked and the file size would drop a lot more.

I believe this is expected to be addressed in a future version so that documents can also be linked without being embedded, but currently they are not.

On 6/10/2019 at 12:42 PM, robrecord said:

After linking most of my embeds, there were a few that kept asking to be re-found. Even today I always get two images that ask to be re-linked, even though they have not been moved or modified. (...)

3. How can I stop these two files from always asking to be relinked?

To stop repeating complaints I sometimes  was successful to use "Replace" for such objects. Sometimes I had to delete the object and import it new. Possibly you can park some object settings in an object style for easier re-assigning after re-import.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff

Hi all,

We have added a "paginator" in both Photo and Designer and that should make it in the next update. 

As for the file, the best way to get rid of redundant content is to Save as. That will keep only the necessary data. As far as I know, we do a "cleanup" every 5th save, but cleanup is automatically performed with every Save As operation. So, if the file is still big after a Save as, that's the bare minimum we can save it as currently. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.