You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adjusting bezier handles and won't snap to pure vertical or horizontal

Hi,

I placed my points for my shape and then adjusted the curves with the node tool. After that I highlighted the curved nodes that were broken and I clicked "smooth" button to rejoin the handles. I then wanted to adjust some to pure horizontal. Typically in the past, I just held the SHIFT ket and it snaps to the horizontal plane (or the vertical if I needed it to). When I try to do this it snaps to some obscure angle and I can't get it to snap to either 0 or 90 degrees. Any ideas? Bug?

Thanks

• Staff

I believe only the Pen tool snaps to steps of 45º.

The Node tool (control handles) never snapped to the horizontal or vertical plane. Pressing shift while in the Node Tool only constrains the control handles movement to the direction defined by themselves, that is, you can only extend them without changing their angle. So if you change their angle while dragging and then press shift, they will return to the original angle they were before you start dragging them.

MEB,

Can you put this down as requested feature? I depend on this feature in AI and it is a little frustrating not being able to do it in AD. If others have a workaround I would love to hear it.

Thanks as always,

Chris