You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Use double click to convert shapes to text frames

I have detected a possible error after the updating of the affinity designer software to version 1.7.0, which has made my work stop immediately.

After the update i have detected that some figures of my templates, specifically rectangles with a white background and a black stroke of 0.5 pt, have become the layer menu in text, therefore although graphically continue to be a drawing of a rectangle, you can not be manipulated as such, and therefore, you can not vary the size of your stroke or its color.

To explain it better, i have made a graph that explains the problem. Originally each group is formed by a white rectangle with a text, or text and drawing, above this.In this capture you can appreciate that the rectangle of group 1 has been affected, however the rectangle of group 2, no.

I do not want to check the scope of this alleged error in all the templates that i have made for fear that this error is applied when open, but at least in 6 or 7 different cases i have been able to see it.

Captura de pantalla 2019-06-10 a las 11.27.34.jpg

Mac Mini 2018/iPad Pro 12.9/Wacom Intuos Pro M

macOS Catalina 10.15.4  + Affinity Designer 1.8.3 / Affinity Photo 1.8.3/ Affinity Publisher 1.8.3

iOS 13.4.1 + Affinity Designer 1.8.3 / Affinity Photo 1.8.3

I just realized that clicking with the right mouse button on the icon of any affinity designer file allows me to choose between opening it with version 1.6.1 and 1.7.0, so,  after closing the template in which I have seen the error with version 1.7.0, I have reopened it with version 1.6.1 and the error does not appear, so I deduce that, at least, supposedly, it is a reversible error.

macOS Catalina 10.15.4  + Affinity Designer 1.8.3 / Affinity Photo 1.8.3/ Affinity Publisher 1.8.3

In earlier Publisher betas there was a rather convenient shortcut in place that would convert arbitrary shapes to text frames when you clicked on them using the text tool.  I thought the team had deemed that a misfeature for some reason and removed it (which is rather sad as I kind of liked that shortcut), but wondering now if it might have carried over into Designer and is still there?  If that is what is happening I would personally like to see it turned into a preference rather than simply removed altogether.

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

In earlier Publisher betas there was a rather convenient shortcut in place that would convert arbitrary shapes to text frames when you clicked on them using the text tool.  I thought the team had deemed that a misfeature for some reason and removed it (which is rather sad as I kind of liked that shortcut), but wondering now if it might have carried over into Designer and is still there?  If that is what is happening I would personally like to see it turned into a preference rather than simply removed altogether.

In the case that it was an option, probably as you say, I'm sure it could be useful, but in this case I've seen that this has happened randomly in files that were already made in advance. besides,  this conversion option should be implemented in a clear manner.

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

Indeed, I just verified that what you have explained is what happens, when you touch a shape with the text  tool it becomes text. I am not sure now that these last days, since I did the upgrade, I have not been converting shapes into text without knowing it, or if instead it has retained the memory effect of when I put them in their position dragging with the text tool.
In any case, although in some cases it may be useful, for those of us who manipulate text and shape forms, we are constantly changing from the select tool to the text tool, it is a big problem

2 minutes ago, Miquel said:

when you touch a shape with the text  tool it becomes text

Yeah, I would prefer that it happen when you double-click on a shape with the text tool selected... but I can see that some people may have difficulty with it either way and it would be nice to have this as a preference that could be disabled.

Yes, double- click should be fine .

I hope something is done as soon as possible to fix it

Thanks fde