You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dual platform?

I am much eager to make a pre-order of Publisher. I use both Windows and Mac at home and in the office. Would I be able to have 2 licenses for both machines with just one purchase? Thanks!

---------------------
Saying with a loud voice, "Fear God, and give glory to Him; for the hour of His judgment is come: and worship Him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters." (Revelation 14:7)

他大聲說:「應當敬畏神,將榮耀歸給祂!因祂施行審判的時候已經到了。應當敬拜那創造天地海和眾水泉源的。」(啟14:7)

---------------------

7 hours ago, AIBLTD said:

Would I be able to have 2 licenses for both machines with just one purchase?

You would need to purchase separate licenses - one for each platform.

If you are trying to use the pre-order offer and have been using the betas, you might want to open the beta and click on the link in the Welcome screen that offers the discount - I don't know if you can order for both platforms at once or if you need to do it in two separate transactions.

@ErrkaPetti, I seriously doubt the platform separation in the purchase is related to having two (more likely three considering iPad) separate development teams for the UI aspects of the Affinity programs.  Originally the Affinity software was Mac-only and only available on the App Store.  When originally released for Windows I think it was sold only on their web site?  Since Apple does not share specific customer details with Serif, they would not have been able to have common licenses between the platforms.  I would assume they would have the same issue with the Windows store as well.  While they could theoretically offer a dual-platform license from the Affinity store (their web site), they may consider that unfair to users who had already purchased from the App Store or Windows Store (which some of us prefer to do) as they could not extend that same offer to them, and they would not be able to include the iPad in that as it is locked into app store purchases, so continuing to keep the platforms separate seems appropriate.

@fde101, wouldn't it be possible to combine both ways of purchasing? For instance with a free app download which can be used only after purchasing + entering an access key/serial number? If this number works platform independent then one might be able to a.) get the app for both platforms + b.) use it on two different systems. The iPad could still need a separate number if wanted.

"Unfair"? – Momentarily people are advantaged whose computer at home and at work has the same system, right?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

10 minutes ago, thomaso said:

For instance with a free app download which can be used only after purchasing + entering an access key/serial number?

That would violate the rules of at least Apple's app store, which makes sense as Apple would lose their cut of the income.  It would basically be a method of bypassing Apple's take on the profits while at the same time making things more difficult (and less consistent) for users.  I am less familiar with the rules of the Microsoft store, but I would expect they probably have similar restrictions in place for similar reasons.

13 minutes ago, fde101 said:

That would violate the rules of at least Apple's app store, which makes sense as Apple would lose their cut of the income. 

You forgot about the possibility to charge via In-App purchases.
For instance in Apple's App store "Microsoft Office"-apps are free for download but you will charge via In-App purchases for a specific version.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

For ease of use AppStore apps are not allowed to have serial numbers – just as they aren’t allowed to have an „Update" button or update entry in application menus.

And „free download“ from AppStore and paid serial numbers from elsewhere is kind of fraudulent and will cause kick the respective apps out if the AppStore.

Alright then. Thanks for letting me understand more!

---------------------
Saying with a loud voice, "Fear God, and give glory to Him; for the hour of His judgment is come: and worship Him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters." (Revelation 14:7)

他大聲說:「應當敬畏神,將榮耀歸給祂!因祂施行審判的時候已經到了。應當敬拜那創造天地海和眾水泉源的。」(啟14:7)

---------------------

23 hours ago, AIBLTD said:

I am much eager to make a pre-order of Publisher. I use both Windows and Mac at home and in the office. Would I be able to have 2 licenses for both machines with just one purchase? Thanks!

Get work to pay for the mac version.

But $34.99  is a steal if you get it now at the 30% off for the beta testing.  Even if you need to buy both it is only $35 each!  Microsoft word is $129, or $64 a month to rent to put this in perspective.