You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush tool very laggy

This new update has been a total disaster. My workflow is in shambles and I have lots of projects coming up. The brush tool takes forever to "erase". Also, the entire app will freeze periodically for 10-15 seconds. The update stated that the denoise filter is much improved. Really? So far its been worse. Please tell me there will be a fix coming real soon. Is there a way to revert back to the old version?

Edited by MarkPM

Welcome to the forum!

If you purchased on the App Store, the only way to revert is to pull a copy of the older version from a backup (Time Machine or similar).

If you purchased from the Affinity store, you should be able to download the older version from the store.

Before you do that, consider disabling the hardware acceleration option at the bottom of the Performance section of Preferences (accessed from the Affinity Photo menu), as a number of users have reported similar problems which cleared up when they disabled that option.  You will need to restart Affinity Photo for that change to take effect.

I have also found the new version to be very sluggish with the brushes. There is a real delay that makes it hard to work with. I also have issues where the application itself does not render properly, in the section on the right with the adjustment, layers, effect tabs, etc.

I used Time Machine to restore back to 1.6.7, but left 1.7 on the machine as well for now. I still have the old issue with getting the access denied message opening files which is supposedly because of too many fonts on the machine (down to 139 fonts). I was hoping 1.7 would fix that but it didn't.

• Staff

As far as I know the only change in 1.7 that should really be affecting brushes is Metal compute. Some people have found turning it off helps and other have found that having it on increases performance.

MarkPM, if you've disabled Metal compute and it has made no difference, it might help to get more info about your machine.

There is a new beta that you can install alongside the newly updated 1.7 release that has some fixes in it. I would encourage you to install it and follow the updates: