You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Repeatable crash with Denoise filter in 1.7.0

First question: What happened to the "extreme" denoise sliders?

Second question: I am able to cause Affinity Photo to crash repeatedly by loading a file, selecting a nested (?) layer, then Filters -> Noise -> Denoise..., then selecting the parent layer. AP immediately crashes.

Nbew3kP.png

fG66WG0.png

ZAf49VX.png

*boom*

I've attached a macOS diagnostic from one of the crashes.

bug_report.txt

• Staff

Hi Matt,

Is this on a 1.6 file or a brand new one in 1.7? I don't quite get a crash but I am getting a massive screen glitch when I click the parent layer. You are definitely onto something here. I'll investigate and log my findings with dev. Cheers :) 

Update - Got the crash on my second attempt! This is with Metal compute disabled. 

Ah, this is on a v1.6 afphoto file, indeed. However, I also do see the massive screen glitch for a brief moment before the crash.

(I left Metal compute enabled.)

Also, can you say what happened to the Extreme denoise sliders? They seem to max out at 100% now in 1.7.

• Staff
15 hours ago, Matt H said:

Also, can you say what happened to the Extreme denoise sliders? They seem to max out at 100% now in 1.7.

Some of the filters and adjustments have been rewritten for 1.7. Is there something you are unable to achieve in 1.7 that you could in 1.6?

• Staff

Hi Matt,

The Denoise filter was redesigned to be more natural but I appreciate the effect may not be as strong in some circumstances. There have been a few discussions on this already and it has been suggested that you try duplicating a Live Denoise filter to double its effect.