Here’s a look at my Affinity Photo setup, using two views of the same painting that I am working on gives me the flexibility of zooming in on one image to work the details while being able to see the immediate impact on the whole image. This approach really works well given I am using a 5K iMac monitor. Comments welcomed.

How did you rotate your canvas? I thought that feature wasn't supported yet in Photo. Didn't know you could make the top bars with the Personas and tool settings float either (how do you set that up?).

Your painting looks nice so far, but would have liked to see the whole thing. :P

View > Rotate Left / Right

Add a keyboard shortcut.

I mapped my shortcut to an external controller so I spin my Contour Shuttle Pro to spin the canvas.

@Gregory-CJ nice painting - will you show us the whole thing?

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

How I make GIFs >>> ScreenToGIF (Windows only, Open Source, Portable, ~600kB)

Amazing!

It's pretty rare to see digital painting in Affinity Photo.

How many times did it took for that portrait ?

thxs.

22 hours ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

How did you rotate your canvas? I thought that feature wasn't supported yet in Photo. Didn't know you could make the top bars with the Personas and tool settings float either (how do you set that up?).

Your painting looks nice so far, but would have liked to see the whole thing. :P

Yes, as Aammppaa pointed out rotation = View>left or right and I mapped these  to the Expresskeys  of my "old" wacom tablet.

To get the floating tool bars go  under the window menu > Separated Mode.  You will have to scale the image to fit your monitor size. 

If you want to work with two of the same image then open up  a new view  under View> new view.  Now both images can be scaled/positioned as you want.

Works like a charm.

Here is the final digital painting.  I broke my procedure down into a few categories (3D form, Color, Facial landmarks,& luminosity) and will make a new post for that. I didn't keep record of the time it took to paint it  which was too long in my opinion , but now that I got AP working for me.. blending /painting brushes etc... things shouldn't take so long.

1 hour ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

It seems like Separated Mode is a Mac exclusive thing, since I couldn't find it on my Windows version.

Yes. The closest thing we Windows users have is via Window > Float or Window > Float All. You can also, of course, float Studio panels by dragging them out of their docked positions, and float the Tools bar by turning off View > Dock Tools.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

That's really cool Gregory, won't forget that option and will be trying it out at some point. Thanks for showing us. 

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Live 19th June 2019

On 6/9/2019 at 11:45 AM, Frozen Death Knight said:
9 hours ago, firstdefence said:

That's really cool Gregory, won't forget that option and will be trying it out at some point. Thanks for showing us. 

You are most welcome.