You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP Digital Painting Set UP

Gregory-CJ

Here’s a look at my Affinity Photo setup, using two views of the same painting that I am working on gives me the flexibility of zooming in on one image to work the details while being able to see the immediate impact on the whole image. This approach really works well given I am using a 5K iMac monitor. Comments welcomed.

View > Rotate Left / Right

Add a keyboard shortcut.

I mapped my shortcut to an external controller so I spin my Contour Shuttle Pro to spin the canvas.

@Gregory-CJ nice painting - will you show us the whole thing?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

22 hours ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

How did you rotate your canvas? I thought that feature wasn't supported yet in Photo. Didn't know you could make the top bars with the Personas and tool settings float either (how do you set that up?).

Your painting looks nice so far, but would have liked to see the whole thing. :P

Yes, as Aammppaa pointed out rotation = View>left or right and I mapped these  to the Expresskeys  of my "old" wacom tablet.

To get the floating tool bars go  under the window menu > Separated Mode.  You will have to scale the image to fit your monitor size. 

If you want to work with two of the same image then open up  a new view  under View> new view.  Now both images can be scaled/positioned as you want.

Works like a charm.

Here is the final digital painting.  I broke my procedure down into a few categories (3D form, Color, Facial landmarks,& luminosity) and will make a new post for that. I didn't keep record of the time it took to paint it  which was too long in my opinion , but now that I got AP working for me.. blending /painting brushes etc... things shouldn't take so long.

1 hour ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

It seems like Separated Mode is a Mac exclusive thing, since I couldn't find it on my Windows version.

Yes. The closest thing we Windows users have is via Window > Float or Window > Float All. You can also, of course, float Studio panels by dragging them out of their docked positions, and float the Tools bar by turning off View > Dock Tools.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

That's really cool Gregory, won't forget that option and will be trying it out at some point. Thanks for showing us. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 6/9/2019 at 11:45 AM, Frozen Death Knight said:
9 hours ago, firstdefence said:

That's really cool Gregory, won't forget that option and will be trying it out at some point. Thanks for showing us. 

You are most welcome.