You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Style Bug in Linked Frames [1.7.0.376] (split)

Text style bug in linked text frames.   Create a text frame and create a second text frame.  Insert text to overflow the first frame and use the overflow arrow to flow the text into the second frame of the thread.  Click into the first frame and change the text colour.  The text in the second frame (text box0 does not change colour.

Now resize the first box so all the text fits into that box.  The combine text has two colours - one from each box.  Now click into that box and change the colour of the full text content.  Reduce the size of the first box and now the re-flowed text in the second box has the colour from entire thread.

By selecting the entire text thread as the first step all the thread colour/ style DOES change together.

This should be the DEFAULT - that the entire text tread running through various boxes should change style together .  The OPTION should be that clicking into a text box or frame with the selection/move tool offers  THE USER a choice of modifying the contents of that box alone or the default of changing the style of the entire thread that the box is part of.

The reverse of the present situation. (beta 1.7.0)

• Staff

@threader

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) I hope you don't mind me moving your (first) post, but we don't encourage bug reports to go in announcement threads but being your first post you were not to know.

I will get this issue you have reported looked at next week to check we can replicate it.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 hours ago, threader said:

This should be the DEFAULT - that the entire text tread running through various boxes should change style together .

I am not sure this is a bug.

I might like to have the text flowing into a text frame to change its colour to the colour chosen for that frame as an option, but I am not sure if that could be put into a Text Frame as something which would not override the Paragraph Style and Character Style choice of colour. If your new default behaviour were to change the colour of the text what about font and font size changes would they also propagate through all linked frames overriding the choices already made? 

The more I think of this the more I would like to have the ability to change the colour for one text frame's text colour But only that frame regardless of the colour of inflowing and out flowing text, that should take on the colour of the pervious / following frames.

Here is something that works, and works well, which is how I would like to see colour in a frame work instead of the size change.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

5 hours ago, threader said:

By selecting the entire text thread as the first step all the thread colour/ style DOES change together. 

This should be the DEFAULT - that the entire text tread running through various boxes should change style together .  The OPTION should be that clicking into a text box or frame with the selection/move tool offers  THE USER a choice of modifying the contents of that box alone

To me it seems to be already as you describe:
– to change attributes of ALL text in all linked frames: Select with Text Tool.
– to optionally change attributes of text in specific frames: Select with Move Tool.

Select with Text tool to change properties for ALL linked text:

2132719462_linkedtextcolors2.thumb.jpg.8b62336e960d5bc33ba0be2209774ba3.jpg

Select with Move Tool to change properties for specific frames. (cmd-shift-click to select several frames)
In case you could be able select ALL text of all frames by selecting one frame only with the Move Tool then it would be more complicated to change properties of specific frame content only, for instance:

287435173_linkedtextcolors1.thumb.jpg.0b353df33cc605d13016ee331532aa5e.jpg

Yes, if you change frame size(s) then such an existing formatting will flow and needs to get reassigned.
Unless I misunderstand you, I do not see a bug yet but an expected and appreciated behavior instead.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.