You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Understanding Filler Text Editability (split)

Hi. thank you for your valuable work. of all.

In beta 176, in Preference > Filler Text I can't add my custom fill text anymore. I had added it in the previous beta and lost the update. Reinserting it, it is no longer saved.

2 hours ago, padura said:

Hi. thank you for your valuable work. of all.

In beta 176, in Preference > Filler Text I can't add my custom fill text anymore. I had added it in the previous beta and lost the update. Reinserting it, it is no longer saved.

You should create a new topic to report that, padura. As stated in the first post here, you can use this topic to report issues installing or starting this update. But problems using it need to be reported separately. That's the only that Serif can reliably track functional issues.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

UPDATE: This seems to only affect "filler text" and not regular text that you type in or copy/paste.

------

How do I select text? Seems like a silly question, but...I've created a text box, inserted some filler text and when I try to highlight just a few words by dragging the mouse, the whole text box instead—as in ALL of its content—is highlighted. I can't highlight just 3 simple words, or a sentence. I'm on Mac Sierra, btw.

I worked with Publisher extensively a while ago and don't recall having problems selecting text.

Anyone else seeing this odd text selection behavior?

My BOOK (created with Publisher, Designer & Photo):
Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way)

My WEBSITE (also developed using Affinity apps):
www.RolandK.ca — "Relentless adventures in self-expression"

[Power Mac & Intel PC (HighSierra/Monterey/Win 10]

2 hours ago, TheOtherRoland said:

UPDATE: This seems to only affect "filler text" and not regular text that you type in or copy/paste.

Try ticking Preferences > General > Insert filler text as text if you want to be able to select a part of it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, TheOtherRoland said:

UPDATE: This seems to only affect "filler text" and not regular text that you type in or copy/paste

By default filler text is a block of text that you can't edit. But the advantage is that it will expand or contract to match the size of the text frame.

To make it editable, right-click and choose Expand Field. Or use the corresponding item in the Text menu.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

By default filler text is a block of text that you can't edit. But the advantage is that it will expand or contract to match the size of the text frame.

To make it editable, right-click and choose Expand Field. Or use the corresponding item in the Text menu.

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

Try ticking Preferences > General > Insert filler text as text if you want to be able to select a part of it.

Thanks, guys.

I haven't even tried it but I can already tell that this is the answer to the issue because of how I saw the insert text behave next to actual typed text.

It's kind of a weird thing having to turn "insert text" into actual text in preferences when in other programs I'm getting text, not a graphic representation of it. However, it's not a bad idea—kind of practical from a design standpoint. Just sneaks up on you though, real unsuspectin'-like. :)

UPDATE: Just tried it. OMG. It works. You guys are obviously operating at a superior level of consciousness—or you've read the manual. :D

26 minutes ago, TheOtherRoland said:

obviously operating at a superior level of consciousness

They are, I just RTFM but there isn't one per se. So I ask questions and try to remember the answers.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

They are, I just RTFM but there isn't one per se. So I ask questions and try to remember the answers.

Actually, I'm not here a lot and, beyond a short burst of interest a few months ago, I have been waiting for a final release version before I really begin to grapple with the program.

APub seems fairly intuitive, so far, so my assumption is that once I need it, I'll just dig right in. But as the insert text thing shows, there are a few things likely awaiting to sabotage my patience and peace of mind. :)

48 minutes ago, TheOtherRoland said:

But as the insert text thing shows, there are a few things likely awaiting to sabotage my patience and peace of mind. :)

Heh, heh, heh.   Publisher will sabotage your plans for an early day!    Predict you are going to really like it!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.