You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

just a post for praise :)

Hi,

playing around some more (only heard about this wonderful app a few days ago) - and discovering some beautifully thought out features - I think you're missing a forum category for praise! :)

Love doing vector work, and though Illustrator has its flaws (and with Adobe…well, you know) I've come love it. It's not ideal - and since the introduction of CC more so than ever - I've been searching for an alternative. Nothing's ever come so close !! What an amazing app!

Just wanted to say thank you for these:

• split view - will be using this all the time, I can tell - between vector and outline
  • brilliant combination of vector and bitmap ~ never thought I'd like this… but integrated as you have it - I might just change my mind, lovely to use - and superquick to render/preview 
  • instant previews all through the tools and settings - how wonderful
  • I use gradients a lot (very subtle only, very custom) - and AD's tool - just brilliant !
  • smart guides (for lack of a better word) - showing alignment of nodes as I draw ~ excellent!
  • ability to shape curve via line as well as nodes

thank you for all your work on this wonderful app - I'm sold despite only having looked at it a little ;)

one more point:
I teach graphic and web design and my mission usually is to get students to get to grips with vector graphics. Most find bitmap apps (using photos) easier to learn. - AD's ability to control size of tool UI is brilliant! Much more suited for presentations and projector demos - much more accessible to all! 

PS: don't get me wrong - there's lots that I find frustrating and odd, still learning though, will be posting questions, too —but I just wanted to post some praise for the AD team! :-)

I am teaching too prisca and agree with you.

In addition to the user interface, I am glad being able to give my students one more valid alternative to renting their bloated (Bridge, anyone?), expensive software.

I'm a teacher too. At the present time I teach Cinema 4D and Photoshop. I'm glad to be trying out this set of application at their very beginning because, if they come out being as good as I expect them to be, I will be able to start teaching them also, when they become graphic standards :-)

Jens, I agree completely :)  
the fact that there are now apps coming out as alternatives to the bloated adobe software is such a relief. I always preach that it's not the tool you use but the work you produce. Find the tool that works for you and run with it. Now we have options ~ and AD has the biggest potential yet…

Not even to mention the price tag - this app will finally be a high quality app everyone can afford.

Same here -- I start every Adobe training by tasking my students to research alternatives for the software I am going to teach them for the rest of the week -- just to make them aware that they can use the techniques they learn in multiple ways and multiple applications.

Additionally I try to give them an idea that the exact same feature can have different names (swatches = colours = color sets / styles = presets = templates etc.) but work mostly the exact same way.

The same here. I even encourage my students to do an exercise, after they start learning some of the techniques. I tell them that a great exercise to start harnessing the tools and methods of the application I'm teaching is to search for tutorials that were made in other, similar applications. Then, try to reproduce the tutorial in the application they are learning.

• 1 month later...

I'm a teacher too. At the present time I teach Cinema 4D and Photoshop. I'm glad to be trying out this set of application at their very beginning because, if they come out being as good as I expect them to be, I will be able to start teaching them also, when they become graphic standards :-)

It's people like yourself and the others here who lead the way, both for end users and developers.

Those who compose and create, should co-operate with those who compile and code.

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

Agreed!  I've been a big fan of Serif products on the PC and when I switched to mac Serif is what I missed most.  Not only is this a step towards Mac for Serif, it's professional level software which will allow myself and so many others who have grown weary with Adobe's monopoly and no viable alternative (and no, Gimp, Inkscape, and the like don't count!).  They are nice, but not for professional work.  I am now the happy owner of Affinity Designer and am anxiously awaiting Affinity Photo to replace Photoshop and Affinity Publisher to replace InDesign.  Keep up the AWESOME work guys.  You have many folks anticipating your future updates and apps.